Program to Encourage Active Rewarding Lives for Seniors (PEARLS) Training
Participants learn to identify depression in community-dwelling older adults and use the evidence-based behavioral treatment intervention, PEARLS. The training includes lecture, demonstration, practice sessions, and group discussion. After completing the training, participants are able to
- Recognize the psychosocial needs and stressors of older adults with depression.
- Identify depression in older adults through scientifically validated instruments.
- Describe the dimensions of PEARLS.
- Demonstrate practical skills, such as problem-solving, for treating depression in older adults.
- Assess the depressed older adult and recommend steps to improve his or her mental health and quality of life.
- Understand the requisites and personnel needed to effectively implement PEARLS.
The training is intended for social workers and senior services managers who plan to use PEARLS as one of their organization's intervention strategies.
2–1/2 days (20 hours).