Office of the National Prevention Strategy
Spotlight: National Prevention Council’s
New Prevention Matters Infographic
The National Prevention Council’s new Prevention Matters infographic highlights how the federal government is working together to increase the number of Americans who are healthy at every stage of life.
Office of the National Prevention Strategy, in the Office of the Associate Director for Policy, provides technical and scientific support to the Office of the Surgeon General in implementing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Title IV, Section 4001, National Prevention, Health Promotion and Public Health Council (National Prevention Council).
Chaired by the Surgeon General, the National Prevention Council provides coordination and leadership among 20 executive departments and agencies with respect to prevention, wellness, and health promotion activities.
The National Prevention Council also has an Advisory Group on Prevention, Health Promotion, and Integrative Public Health appointed by the President. The advisory group offers policy and program recommendations to the National Prevention Council and advises the council on effective, science-based prevention and health promotion practices.
On June 16, 2011, the National Prevention Council released the first ever National Prevention Strategy: America’s Plan for Better Health and Wellness which sets forth effective evidence-based and achievable means for improving the health and well-being of all Americans. The National Prevention Strategy provides an unprecedented opportunity to prioritize prevention by integrating recommendations and actions across multiple settings to improve health and save lives.
On June 13, 2012, the National Prevention Council released the National Prevention Council Action Plan. This plan highlights important opportunities that the National Prevention Council and its diverse 20 member departments, agencies, and offices—representing sectors such as housing, transportation, education, environment, and defense—are creating to ensure the health, well-being, and resilience of the American people.
OADP’s Office of the National Prevention Strategy
- Supports the National Prevention Council in implementing the National Prevention Strategy
- Supports the National Prevention Council in developing annual status reports to the President and Congress
- Develops tools and resources to support implementing the National Prevention Strategy at the state and local level
- Identifies opportunities to leverage the National Prevention Strategy to increase collaboration
- Supports HHS and CDC in efforts to implement the National Prevention Strategy
- Monitors National Prevention Strategy progress and outcomes across the federal government