Health Policy at CDC
The Office of the Associate Director for Policy's (OADP) mission is to identify and advance opportunities to use policy, leverage health system transformation and engage other sectors to improve the public’s health.
OADP is focused on:
- Identifying high-value prevention and public health policies and interventions
- Increasing the understanding and use of credible evidence of prevention’s impact by policy makers, health care and public health
- Catalyzing collaboration among public health, health care and other sectors, with special focus on those opportunities expanded by the Affordable Care Act
John Auerbach is CDC’s Associate Director for Policy.
Learn more about OADP's issue areas:
- The 6|18 Initiative : This initiative offers proven interventions that prevent chronic and infectious diseases by increasing their coverage, access, utilization and quality. Additionally, it aligns evidence-based preventive practices with emerging value-based payment and delivery models.
- Health in All Policies Resource Center : The Health in All Policies Resource Center provides resources and tools that support a collaborative approach to health promotion that recognizes the importance of including health considerations when making policy decisions.
- Community Health Improvement : The CDC Community Health Improvement Navigator is a website for people who lead or participate in community health improvement work within hospitals and health systems, public health agencies, and other community organizations.
- State Strategies to Improve Health and Control Cost : An online resource of specific population health strategies for governors’ offices, Medicaid directors, and public health stakeholders that can be integrated into the health care delivery system to improve outcomes and lower the cost of care within 5 years.
- Prevention for Better Health: Learn about the preventive care that you and your loved ones need and ask your healthcare provider what health care you need to stay healthy.
- CDC Policy Process : Policy tools that foster a common understanding of what policy is and the process by which it is conceptualized, developed, adopted, and evaluated.
- National Prevention Strategy : The Strategy provides a health in all policies framework to guide our nation in the most effective and achievable means for improving health and well-being.
- CDC Health Policy Series :These issue briefs are designed to provide practical guidance to state and local public health practitioners, highlighting specific opportunities for public health to engage with health care to improve population health.
- CDC’s 6|18 Initiative: Accelerating Evidence into Action
Read more about the background and goals of the 6|18 Initiative in the National Academy of Medicine’s Discussion Paper (February 2016)
- The 3 Buckets of Prevention
Read about how the 6|18 Initiative fits within a population health and prevention framework for clinicians, insurers, and public health practitioners in the Journal of Public Health Management & Practice (December 2015)
- Page last reviewed: March 22, 2016
- Page last updated: March 22, 2016
- Content source: