Publications and Resources
CDC is committed to providing timely and accurate information on public health preparedness and response issues. This includes reports on the progress that state and local health departments are making to prepare and protect their communities, planning resources for public health professionals, and simple guides to help prepare your homes and families for an emergency. We hope that you find our resources helpful and please check back for updated publications.
Resources for the Public
- Ecards, posters, and graphics
Tweet, share, or pin emergency preparedness messages on social media with our ecards and graphics. Spread the word that preparedness is in!
- Be Ready Infographics
CDC has a new library of infographics that teach readers about how to be ready for a range of different disasters, including hurricanes, wildfires, and more. Share them on social media or print them out to post in your office, school, or home.
- Ready Wrigley
helps her family prepare for emergencies! Wrigley’s preparedness adventure will help you and your family get ready for the unexpected. In an emergency, would you know what to do?
- All-Hazards Preparedness Guide
PHPR’s All-Hazards Preparedness Guide provides general preparedness information as well as comprehensive steps to follow before, during, and after specific hazards. Specific hazards covered include: Earthquake, Extreme Heat, Flood, Hurricane, Landslide/Mudslide, Pandemic Influenza, Radiation, Tornado, Tsunami, Volcano, Wildfire, and Winter Weather.
Resources for Professionals
- Identifying Vulnerable Older Adults and Legal Options for Increasing Their Protection During All-Hazards Emergencies
is intended to help close many of the gaps in emergency planning and preparedness for vulnerable older adults. It aims to give public health officials, the Aging Services Network, emergency management personnel, and other partners the information, strategies, and resources they need to improve the planning and protection of vulnerable, community-dwelling older adults during all types of emergencies.
- The National Strategic Plan for Public Health Preparedness and Response
(2011) is a guide for CDC, the entire public health system, and its stakeholders to secure the health of the nation and attain the plan’s collective 2020 vision of “people’s health protected – public health secured”.
- The 2016 National Snapshot of Public Health Preparedness
is the CDC’s eighth preparedness report, demonstrating how federal investments enhance the nation’s ability to respond to public health threats and emergencies. We present activities that occurred during 2014 and 2015 in the framework of preparedness capabilities.
- The 2015 National Snapshot of Public Health Preparedness
is the CDC’s seventh preparedness report, demonstrating how federal investments enhance the nation’s ability to respond to public health threats and emergencies. We present activities that occurred during 2013 and 2014 in the framework of preparedness capabilities.
- The 2013-2014 National Snapshot of Public Health Preparedness
demonstrates how federal investments enhance the nation’s ability to respond to public health threats and emergencies and presents activities that occurred during 2012 and 2013.
- 2012 State-By-State Report on Laboratory, Emergency Operations Coordination, and Emergency Public Information and Warning Capabilities
is designed to increase accountability regarding the nation’s investment in preparedness activities, the report features national-level data as well as individual fact sheets for the 50 states, 4 cities, and 8 insular areas supported by the Public Health Emergency Preparedness (PHEP) cooperative agreement.
- Public Health Preparedness: 2011 State-by-State Update on Laboratory Capabilities and Response Readiness Planning
(2011) presents national-level data as well as fact sheets with data on preparedness activities occurring in each of the 50 states and 4 localities supported by CDC’s PHEP cooperative agreement. The report provides available data on two of the activities reported in the 2010 report, laboratory capabilities and response readiness planning for medical countermeasure distribution.
- Public Health Preparedness: Strengthening the Nation's Emergency Response State by State
(2010) features national data as well as individual fact sheets for the 50 states and 4 localities supported by CDC's PHEP cooperative agreement. The report also highlights snapshots of state and local response activities occurring during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic.
- Public Health Preparedness: Strengthening CDC's Emergency Response
(2009) explains CDC's role in preparing the public health infrastructure to respond effectively to all types of hazards. The report also describes the broad range of preparedness programs funded at CDC and at state and local health departments which are supported by the Congressional Terrorism Preparedness and Emergency Response allocation.
- Public Health Preparedness: Mobilizing State By State (2008)
highlights preparedness progress and challenges at state and local public health departments and outlines CDC's efforts to address those challenges. The report presents national data as well as state-specific snapshots for the 50 states and 4 localities supported by CDC's PHEP cooperative agreement.
- Remembering 9/11 and Anthrax: Public Health’s Vital Role in National Defense (2011)
This report by Trust for America's Health (a nonprofit, non-partisan organization) includes more than 30 accounts by public health officials who were on the ground in response to 9/11 and anthrax, including many colleagues at CDC.
- Ready or Not? Protecting the Public's Health from Diseases, Disasters, and Bioterrorism (2010)
This annual report by Trust for America's Health (a nonprofit, non-partisan organization) ranks states' abilities to respond to a public health emergency according to 10 preparedness indicators, four of which are based on data from PHPR's 2010 state by state report.
- CDC Emergency Preparedness and Response
Learn about CDC's role in preparedness and response activities and current emergencies.
- PandemicFlu.gov U.S.
Government avian and pandemic flu information.
- Assistant Secretary for Preparedness & Response
This entity coordinates interagency activities for emergency preparedness.
- National Response Framework
Comprehensive structure for responding to all types of hazards.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Center for Biosecurity
News, reports, and other publications on biosecurity issues.
- Institute of Medicine Forum on Medical and Public Health Preparedness for Catastrophic Events
Fosters dialogue among stakeholders and provides ongoing opportunities to discuss and confront issues.
- Page last reviewed: January 28, 2016
- Page last updated: January 28, 2016
- Content source: