Articles and Reports
The Public Health Law Program provides selected articles and reports as resources for public health practitioners and their legal counsel.
- George A. Mensah, et al., Law as a tool for preventing chronic diseases: expanding the spectrum of effective public health strategies [PDF-354KB], Preventing Chronic Disease. 2004 Apr. Article discussing the important roles that laws have played in public health.
- Express Tuberculosis Control Laws in Selected U.S. Jurisdictions report [PDF-1.2MB]. Oscar A. Cabrera,O’Neill, James G. Hodge, Jr. and Lawrence O. Gostin, JD, LL.D. (Hon.), The Centers for Law & the Public’s Health: A Collaborative at Johns Hopkins and Georgetown Universities. An examination of key legal patterns of express TB control laws present in 25 states.
- The Emergence of Law to Address Healthcare-Associated Infections [PDF - 243KB] ** is an overview for health lawyers who seek to understand the landscape of healthcare-associated infection (HAI) laws and policies in order to advise healthcare clients, public health departments, and consumers regarding their responsibilities for HAI prevention. The article references tools and resources published in 2011 and 2012 by the Public Health Law Program in partnership with the Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion (DHQP) in the National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases and the Association for State and Territorial Health Officials and its partners. A sample of these resources is available on PHLP’s HAI Resources Page and the DHQP Policy Page.
- ** Published in AHLA Connections, v. 16, n.8 (Aug. 2012). © 2012 American Health Lawyers Association
Public Health Laboratories
- An Overview of Legal Considerations in Assessing Multijurisdictional Sharing of Public Health Laboratory Services [PDF-481KB] is a resource for public health laboratory directors and their legal counsel as they explore potential legal issues related to sharing testing services with other jurisdictions to strengthen the public health laboratory system. The Overview of Legal Considerations is a companion report to A Practical Guide to Assessing and Planning Implementation of Public Health Laboratory Service Changes [PDF-5.2MB] developed by CDC and APHL and published in May 2012.
Disclaimer: Information available on this website that was not developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not necessarily represent any CDC policy, position, or endorsement of that information or of its sources. The information contained on this website is not legal advice; if you have questions about a specific law or its application you should consult your legal counsel.
- Page last reviewed: February 12, 2013
- Page last updated: February 12, 2013
- Content source: