Countermeasure Tracking Systems
Disseminating Critical Information During Public Health Emergencies
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Communications Portal (CP) is a Web-based content management system that consolidates important details about a public health emergency response and provides timely and adequate information to states and other jurisdictions during an event. CP is one of the four components of the CDC Countermeasure Tracking Systems (CTS) program.
During a public health emergency, public health agencies must make information available as quickly as possible. Although e-mail is a useful communications tool, it has challenges, including maintaining accurate distribution lists, monitoring overuse, and customizing information for particular audiences. In addition, public health agencies may need to update program guidance and documentation throughout an event. However, determining which documents are current or finding the most up-to-date information can be difficult. To help alleviate these issues, the CDC Division of Strategic National Stockpile (DSNS) collaborated with the CTS program in the CDC Division of Health Informatics and Surveillance (DHIS) to develop the CTS Communications Portal.
Communications Portal Overview
The Communications Portal is a content management system that complements another CTS component, the CDC Inventory Management and Tracking System. The portal provides a central place for disseminating critical information to DSNS state and local partners about medical countermeasure tracking and use during a public health emergency.
Information the portal provides includes
- emergency use authorization and investigational new drug information,
- lot recalls,
- announcements, and
- related documentation and materials.
Highlights include a
- spotlight featuring the most current information for states and local jurisdictions about the event;
- general announcements section listing recent communications with hyperlinks to important documentation;
- calendar providing information about current and upcoming activities, Webinars, and conference calls;
- document library containing all available documentation and presentation files;
- resource section listing DSNS contacts and other general information; and
- management capability allowing jurisdictions to add users and customize information.
The Communications Portal streamlines access to important and current communication and documentation during an emergency event.
For access or more information, e-mail CTSHelp@cdc.gov.