Prevention & Control
The best way to prevent Strongyloides infection is to wear shoes when you are walking on soil, and to avoid contact with fecal matter or sewage. Proper sewage disposal and fecal management are keys to prevention.
Furthermore, if you believe that you may be infected, the best way to prevent severe disease is to be tested and, if found to be positive for disease, treated.
You should discuss testing with your doctor if you are
- taking steroids or other immunosuppressive therapies
- about to start taking steroids or other immunosuppressive therapies
- a veteran who served in the South Pacific or southeast Asia
- infected with Human T-cell Lymphotropic Virus-1 (HTLV-1)
- diagnosed with cancer
- going to donate or receive organ transplants.