- Drugs for Parasitic Infections. Treatment Guidelines from the Medical Letter. Vol 8 (Suppl), 2010. The Medical Letter, Inc., New Rochelle, NY.
- Schuster FL, Ramirez-Avila L. Current world status of Balantidium coli. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2008 Oct;21(4):626-38.
- Hill DR, Nash TE. Intestinal flagellate and ciliate infections. In Tropical Infectious Diseases, Principals, Pathogens, and Practice. Guerrant RL, Walker DH, Weller PF, Eds. Saunders Elsevier , Philadelphia, PA, 2011, pp. 630.
- Schuster FL, Visvesvara GS. Amebae and ciliated protozoa as causal agents of waterborne zoonotic disease. Vet Parasitol. 2004 Dec 9;126(1-2):91-120.
- Ferry T, Bouhour D, De Monbrison F, Laurent F, Dumouchel-Champagne H, Picot S, Piens MA, Granier P. Severe peritonitis due to Balantidium coli acquired in France. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004 May;23(5):393-5. Epub 2004 Apr 27.
- Anargyrou K, Petrikkos GL, Suller MT, Skiada A, Siakantaris MP, Osuntoyinbo RT, Pangalis G, Vaiopoulos G. Pulmonary Balantidium coli infection in a leukemic patient. Am J Hematol. 2003 Jul;73(3):180-3.
- Esteban JG, Aguirre C, Angles R, Ash LR, Mas-Coma S. Balantidiasis in Aymara children from the northern Bolivian altiplano. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1998;59:922-7.
- Abaza H, El-Zayadi AR, Kabil SM, Rizk H. Nitazoxanide in the treatment of patients with intestinal protozoan and helminthic infections: a report on 546 patients in Egypt. Curr Ther Res 1998;59:116-21.
Back To Top
- Page last reviewed: January 10, 2013
- Page last updated: January 10, 2013
- Content source:
- Global Health - Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria
- Notice: Linking to a non-federal site does not constitute an endorsement by HHS, CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the site.