Whitepaper Feedback is Complete and Now Available
Dear Fellow Officers,
The CDC/ATSDR Director’s Commissioned Corps Policy Advisory Committee has posted your feedback on the white paper, Transforming the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps: CDC/ATSDR Perspective, to the OCCP website. You will find three documents:
- A summary of the qualitative comments you provided
- A compilation of all the qualitative comments you provided
- An analysis of your responses to the Likert scale items (PDF, 40 KB)
We encourage you to review this feedback to see the breadth and depth of officers’ opinions on these issues. Please be aware, however, that we received feedback from a small proportion of CDC/ATSDR officers (about 100 submitted written comments and about 100 attended the brown bag sessions in person or by phone), so this information should not be taken as representative of the officership as a whole.
Recently, the Secretary of Health met with agency heads to discuss his decisions on transformation. We are expecting official notification of those decisions in the near future. In the meantime, we have been notified that several work groups are being formed to develop plans for implementation in several areas, including the size of the Corps, billets and officer groups, assignment for hard-to-fill positions, recruitment and training, and readiness.
Given this stage of transformation decisions at the Secretary’s level, the CCPAC has decided not to further disseminate the white paper as written. Rather, based on the feedback and discussion with you, we are in the process of developing a new set of documents. These documents will:
- Regroup and prioritize the recommendations
- Provide information about the “sense” of the CDC/ATSDR-based officers (based directly on your feedback)
- Provide specific talking points drawn from the white paper background, the recommendations and your feedback, that can be tailored for different users, including Dr. Gerberding, members of the CCPAC and OCCP, officers at large, and members of the Surgeon General’s Policy Advisory Committee.
Thank you for your continued participation in this process. If you have additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact any member of the CCPAC .
CAPT Patricia M. Simone, M.D.
Chair, CDC/ATSDR Director’s Commissioned Corps Policy Advisory Committee
CAPT Sven E. Rodenbeck, ScD, P.E., D.E.E.
Vice-Chair, CDC/ATSDR Director’s Commissioned Corps Policy Advisory Committee