HBO Documentary Series: The Weight of the Nation for Kids
The Weight of the Nation for Kids documentary looks at the issue of childhood obesity. This three-part series of 30-minute films sheds light on solutions to the obesity problem at home and in school. With about 32% of children and teens ages 2 to 19 either overweight or obese1, the issue has never been more urgent.
The Weight of the Nation for Kids is a fun, family-friendly companion to the 2012 four-part documentary, The Weight of the Nation™, which highlighted the causes of obesity, as well as practical solutions to improve the diets and physical activity of Americans. The Weight of the Nation for Kids focuses on what some kids are doing at home and in their schools and communities to make healthy changes in their diets, school menus, and every day activities.
HBO Documentary Series: The Weight of the Nation
The Weight of the Nation is an HBO Documentary Films and Institute of Medicine (IOM) four-part series confronting America’s obesity epidemic. The series, which originally aired in May of 2012, comprises four documentary films, a three-part series for families, 12 bonus shorts, a social media campaign, and a nationwide community-based outreach campaign to support the initiative.
The goal of The Weight of the Nation is to raise public awareness of the complexity of the obesity epidemic. The films were developed in association with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) , and with the support of the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation and Kaiser Permanente .
- More about the causes, consequences and health effects of obesity at CDC.gov/Obesity
- The latest data and statistics tracking the obesity epidemic at CDC Obesity Data and Statistics
- Know your BMI, get started on a healthy weight and move more
- Know your children’s BMI, keep your kids active and use these tips for to feed your children healthier foods
- Work in schools, hospitals, work places and more to make the healthy choice the easy choice
- Take The Weight of the Nation Pledge for Progress
- "Like" The Weight of the Nation on Facebook
Spread the Word and Get Involved
Connect with others interested in combating the obesity epidemic.
1Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK, Flegal KM. Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010. JAMA. 2012;307(5):483-490.
- Page last reviewed: March 14, 2014
- Page last updated: March 14, 2014
- Content source: