Children's Food Environment
Children's Food Environment State Indicator Report, 2011 [PDF-768k] highlights selected behaviors, environments, and policies that affect childhood obesity through support of healthy eating.
- National Action Guide [PDF-616k] provides potential actions that state leaders, coalitions, community-based organizations, and professionals can take alone or in partnership to support state residents' purchase and consumption of more healthful foods.
- Census Tract Level State Maps of the Modified Retail Food Environment Index (mRFEI) [PDF–55.1Mb] includes maps of the mRFEI for each state and Washington D.C. These maps can be used to help identify census tracts within states or communities that either lack access to healthy food retailers such as supermarkets or contain very high densities of fast food restaurants and convenience stores relative to the number of healthy food retailers. States and communities can also use data from the mRFEI Data Table [Excel–5.04Mb] to create their own maps using GIS software or link the mRFEI data to other census-tract level data they may have available.
Fruits and Vegetables
State Indicator Report on Fruits and Vegetables, 2009 provides information for each state on how many fruits and vegetables people are eating, and it highlights three key areas within communities and schools that can be improved to increase access, availability, and affordability of fruits and vegetables.
- National Action Guide [PDF-160k] summarizes the national data and provides potential actions that government and business leaders, coalitions, community-based organizations, and professionals can take to improve Americans' nutrition.
State Indicator Report on Physical Activity, 2010 [PDF-1.5Mb] includes data about individual behaviors related to physical activity, as well as the presence or absence of physical features and policies that can make being physically active either easy or hard to do.
- National Action Guide [PDF-223k] summarizes physical activity levels among Americans and provides potential action items to support state-level policy and environmental changes to increase physical activity.
- State Indicator Report on Physical Activity, 2010 Data Tables with Confidence Intervals [PDF-xk] provides state-specific information summarized for each state's physical activity levels and compared to the nation.
2012 Breastfeeding Report Card provides both national and state-level data which enable communities to monitor breastfeeding progress.
- Vital Signs: Hospital Practices to Support Breastfeeding – United States, 2007 and 2009
- Physical Activity Levels of High School Students – United States, 2010
- Beverage Consumption Among High School Students – United States, 2010
- Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults with Arthritis – United States, 2003 – 2009
- CDC Grand Rounds: Childhood Obesity in the United States
- State-Specific Trends in Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Among Adults – United States, 2000—2009
- Vital Signs: State-Specific Obesity Prevalence Among Adults – United States, 2009
- QuickStats: Prevalence of Obesity (Class I, II, and III)* Among Adults Aged ≥20 Years, by Age Group and Sex – National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, United States, 2007—2008
- Estimated County-Level Prevalence of Diabetes and Obesity – United States, 2007
- Recommended Community Strategies and Measurements to Prevent Obesity in the United States July, 2009
- Obesity Prevalence Among Low-Income, Preschool-Aged Children – United States, 1998—2008
- Differences in Prevalence of Obesity Among Black, White, and Hispanic Adults – United States, 2006—2008