Cost on Healthcare System
As obesity prevalence and disparities have risen nationally over the past two decades, so have the costs on the U.S. healthcare system.
For more information regarding the cost of obesity on the national healthcare system, visit:
- Obesity Prevention Source, Economic Costs
- This resource from the Harvard School of Public Health presents a discussion of the economic costs due to obesity in the U.S
- Annual Medical Spending Attributable to Obesity: Payer and Specific Services Specific Estimates
- This article discusses the link between the rising costs of healthcare related to increasing obesity prevalence in the U.S.
- The Obesity Cost Calculator
- This CDC-sponsored instrument estimates the cost of obesity for a specific institution or organization.
- An Unhealthy America: The Economic Burden of Chronic Disease
- This study by the Milken Institute details the financial burden of chronic diseases nationally.
- Obesity is a risk factor for many of the diseases included in the study, and practitioners can identify the economic burden of diseases by state.