Vaccine Management System
Management Software - VACMAN
VACMAN is a Database Management System (DBMS) used by 59 state, city, and territorial
government Immunization Programs (called Projects). Only these Projects, designated by
CDC, are eligible to use VACMAN (the application is not designed or accessible for any
agency other than these 59 Projects). The Projects use VACMAN to order, and optionally to
track and record information relating to publicly funded (Vaccines For Children (VFC), 317
Grant (G317), and state/other) vaccines.
Project's uses for VACMAN:
- place vaccine orders electronically with CDC. The Project enters ordering information
for vaccines that are to be purchased with public funds. The orders are for bulk amounts
of vaccines to be sent to a storage facility (called a depot) and/or individual Varicella
vaccine orders to be sent directly to a local health agency or other healthcare facility
(called a provider).
- receive updated order and shipment status electronically from CDC. CDC places updated
status information about each order on an electronic bulletin board service. The status is
available whenever a Project transmits to CDC.
- send receipt information on bulk vaccine orders electronically to CDC. The Project
enters information concerning the receipt of each bulk vaccine order. Funds are then
released to pay for the order.
Optional uses for VACMAN by each Project:
- maintain inventory. The Projects vaccine inventory is automatically adjusted when
the Project enters receipt information concerning a bulk vaccine order, and when the
Project enters distribution information concerning a vaccine sent to a requesting
- register a healthcare provider. VACMAN stores contact, VFC enrollment, physician, and
user-defined information concerning each provider participating in the VFC program.
- calculate the annual amount of VFC vaccines for which a provider is eligible. The amount
for each vaccine is based on a formula using the providers VFC enrollment
information. If the amount of vaccine exceeds the annual amount, VACMAN will not complete
the entry without the proper override.
- track the amount of doses administered for various age and eligibility categories.
Providers report the number of doses administered during a specific time period. VACMAN
will track the amount of doses administered over the time periods. The number
of doses can be compared to the amount of doses distributed to the provider.
- track provider vaccine inventory. Providers report the amount of inventory on hand
for a specific date. VACMAN will track the inventory over time. The amount of
inventory can be compared to the amount computed by VACMAN to which the provider should
have in inventory.
- import and export data records. Different types of data records can be imported
from several file formats into VACMAN and exported from VACMAN into several file formats.
- produce detail and summary reports, address labels, invoices, and/or provider vaccine
ordering forms. Reports, labels, invoices, and forms can be printed, viewed on
screen, and/or copied to files of various formats.
- set up and maintain a security record for each person at the Project using VACMAN. A
person at the Project designated as security administrator can set limits on the
transactions and utilities each user can perform.
- developed and maintained by the Systems Development Branch (SDB), Data Management
Division (DMD), National Immunization Program (NIP) at the Centers for Disease Control and
- written using FoxPro for Windows version 2.6
- runs under Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, or Windows 3.x operating system
- set up either for a single user on a PC or in a multi-user environment on a local area
- interacts with CDC through a modem line connected to a bulletin board service
VACMAN menu screens:
- Data - display, add, update, search, and/or delete vaccine and/or provider information
- Look up - search for and display summary information concerning a provider at almost any
point within VACMAN
- Reports - select criteria to produce reports, labels, invoices, or forms that can be
printed, viewed on screen, and/or copied into various file formats
- Utilities - transmit to CDC or perform application-wide maintenance functions
- Setup - display, add, update, and/or delete Project-related and user-defined information
- Exit - properly close VACMAN
- Help - access online help, display current version information, and display, search,
and/or delete system error information, transmission information, and newsletters received
- Users Guide - complete information in printed format
- Online Help - display and search for information concerning each screen and field
- Whats New - newsletter available electronically containing information related to
VACMAN, publicly-funded vaccines, and CDC
- Internet site - background information concerning VACMAN, solutions to common problems,
version upgrade files, information concerning software projects related to VACMAN, and
links to other Internet sites