OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH SAFETY NETWORK (OHSN)
OHSN User Manuals and Other Documents
- Getting Started with OHSN - One page outlining steps for starting with OHSN.
- OHSN Data Elements and Value Sets - Explains the fields ("Data Elements") and response options ("Value Sets") permitted within OHSN. The OHSN Tool will help you map your local terms to this OHSN "Common Language" so you can benchmark your injury rates.
- Data Dictionary: Location - Alphabetical list of commonly found healthcare locations matched to the corresponding OHSN code.
- Data Dictionary: Occupation - Alphabetical list of commonly found healthcare occupations matched to the corresponding OHSN code.
- OHSN Data Conversion and Mapping Tool - Software download required to convert your data to the OHSN format.
- OHSN Import Template (Excel file) - Required only - Ten data fields are required for participation in OHSN. This Microsoft Excel template contains those fields with OHSN codes preloaded as a drop-down menu. This template is NOT necessary if you already have your data in an Excel format; it is primarily for facilities currently tracking their injuries in paper format.
- OHSN Import Template (Excel file) - required and optional fields - This Microsoft Excel template includes required and optional data elements for OHSN. You can use some or all of the provided fields. This template is NOT necessary if you already have your data in an Excel format; it is primarily for facilities currently tracking their injuries in paper format.
More about OHSN
- Non-AHA (American Hospital Association) Facilities - Outpatient clinics or Long-Term Care facilities can find information about how to participate in OHSN.
- OHSN Rules and Behavior - All participants must agree to these rules when they first log on to the system.
- Sample Data Use Agreement - Template for the agreement signed by NIOSH and participating facilities.
For Software Vendors
- OHSN Software Compatibility Kit - Designed for software developers, vendors, and internal IT staff who wish to make behind-the-scenes adaptations to facilitate participation in OHSN. The kit provides the following tools to make existing commercial or custom developed software OHSN-compatible: an overview document; the SODA file, outlining the data formats used by the NIOSH Standard Occupational Data Architecture (SODA) for collecting data for OHSN; and sample source code for converting Excel files to SODA xml format.
- Page last reviewed: September 2, 2015
- Page last updated: September 2, 2015
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Division of Surveillance, Hazard Evaluations, and Field Studies