NIOSH Publication Types
- Alerts briefly present new information about occupational illnesses, injuries, and deaths. Alerts urgently request assistance in preventing, solving, and controlling newly identified occupational hazards.
- Criteria Documents are developed and recommended by NIOSH for preventing disease and hazardous conditions in the workplace. The recommendations are then transmitted as formal publications to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) or the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) of the U.S. Department of Labor for use in promulgating legal standards.
- Current Intelligence Bulletins (CIB) review and evaluate new and emerging information about occupational hazards.
- Data and Statistics Gateway provides access to a wide range of NIOSH data products, including downloadable research data, surveillance resources, and other data-related publications.
- Fact Sheets contain information and recommendations from research conducted by NIOSH for the prevention of work-related disease and injury.
- Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program contains reports and publications on firefighter injuries and fatalities.
- Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE) program concentrates on investigations of fatal occupational injuries. The primary intent of this Website is to provide interested users with access to the full text of hundreds of fatality investigation reports.
- Hazard Controls (HC) are a brief 1-2 page, user-friendly documents that describe control techniques that have been documented to substantially reduce hazardous exposures to workers in a particular application/industry process.
- Hazard IDs (HID) are a brief 1-2 page, user-friendly document that summarize results of NIOSH studies at a specific worksite, that identify new or current health and safety hazards, and offer the best recommendations for control or prevention.
- Health Hazard Evaluations (HHE) are field investigations of possible health hazards caused by exposures or conditions in the workplace.
- Mining Safety and Health Research site contains thousands of publications from 1995 to the present in a searchable database in bibliographic format, and includes abstracts.
- Software is a list of NIOSH-developed software.
- Video programs can be ordered from the NIOSH Publications Office, downloaded, or viewed online.
- Workplace Solutions offer easy-to-understand, easy-to-access, and easy-to-use recommendations that turn the results of NIOSH research into occupational safety and health practice.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about NIOSH publications, enter your email address:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO