PERSONAL PROTECTIVE TECHNOLOGY
Request for Stakeholder Input on PPT Implementation Plan
The NIOSH PPT Program leadership provided the first draft of the NIOSH PPT Program Plan to Implement the National Academies Program Evaluation Recommendations in March 2009. Though presented in a "top-down" approach of focusing on the five NA Report recommendations, this plan was generated "bottom-up" through the effort of a broad cross section of PPT Program employees. All aspects of the plan have been developed with the specific intent of managing the operations of the program against them. The plan will be updated annually to reflect the PPT Program’s progress and direction.
NIOSH Docket Item for Comment: Personal Protective Technology (PPT) Action Planning - NIOSH Docket number 146
The Plan includes an introduction and the PPT Program's plan for activities to address the NA Review Committee's five recommendations for enhancing and expanding the impact and relevance of the program (see http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12203 ). Narrative is included to provide details behind the recommended approach to achieving the desired outcomes.
The PPT Program received stakeholder input through a public comment period in 2009 and continues to present the plan to stakeholders when opportunities arise.
The PPT Program is interested in stakeholder comment on the PPT Program Implementation Plan structure and content. The PPT Program is particularly interested in the stakeholders' perspectives on the following questions:
- Overall, do the issues identified for each recommendation represent a reasonable Program approach for developing the intent of the recommendations?
- Will the approach described in Recommendation 1 enable the PPT Program to continue on a path to fulfilling its mission of preventing work-related injury, illness, and death by advancing the state of knowledge and application of personal protective technologies and the vision described in the NA PPT Evaluation Report?
- Do the activities described under Recommendation 2 provide a feasible approach for enhancing the extramural component of the PPT Program?
- Does the enhanced respirator certification program described under Recommendation 3 provide a feasible approach for enhancing the current program?
- Does the plan effectively respond to Recommendation 4 in its approach to expand its research function?
- Is the PPT Program approach for surveillance discussed for Recommendation 5 a reasonable approach to acquire data-driven input to help guide the Program?
The dates below identify highlights of the implementation plan development:
- October 28, 2008 – Discussions with the IOM Committee on PPE for the Workforce (COPPE)
- December 2, 2008 – Introduce Plan at an NPPTL Public Meeting
- December, 2008 – Internal NIOSH Review of PPT Implementation Plan
- March 3, 2009 – Introduce Plan at PPT Program Stakeholder Meeting
- March 4, 2009 – IOM COPPE Meeting to discuss extramural research
- March 23, 2009 – Submit PPT Implementation Plan to NIOSH BSC and NIOSH-146/PPT Action Planning opens for stakeholder comment on PPT Implementation Plan/Action Plan
- April 16, 2009 – Present plan to NIOSH BSC
- June 01, 2009 – Docket closes for comment on PPT Implementation Plan/Action Plan
- August 2009 – BSC approves plan with modifications
- May 2010 – Revised PPT Program Implementation Plan posted
Background information regarding the PPT Program and the NA Evaluation of the Program is available:
- Current PPT Program Activities
- PPT Program Evidence Package which served as the comprehensive evidence of the PPT Program
- Current PPT Program facilities [PDF - 4.6 MB]
- PPT Program Evaluation conducted by the National Academies
More information can be found on the National Academies Evaluation of NIOSH Research Programs page.
- Page last reviewed: August 15, 2011
- Page last updated: August 15, 2011
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory