HEARING LOSS PREVENTION
The HLR program has used a number of workshops and conferences to foster interaction with outside stakeholders to obtain input for program planning and evaluation. These workshops have stimulated discussion and coordination among internal staff from different organizational units. A list of workshops/conferences that NIOSH has sponsored or cosponsored in recent years is provided below.
- Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in Children at Work and Play. October 19–20, 2006, Cincinnati, OH. Cosponsors: the National Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders (NIDCD); the National Hearing Conservation Association (NHCA); the Marion Downs Hearing Center (MDHC); the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU); and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). http://www.hearingconservation.org/ns_events.html.
- Barriers to Effective Use of Hearing Protection. August 10–11, Cincinnati, OH. Cosponsor: NHCA http://www.hearingconservation.org/ns_events.html.
- Mining Hearing Loss Prevention Workshop: Practical tools and techniques to prevent noise-induced hearing loss. June 21–22, 2005; Charleston, WV. Cosponsors: Bituminous Coal Operators’ Association (BCOA); Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA); National Mining Association (NMA); and United Mine Workers of America (UMWA).
- Hearing Loss Prevention – Futures Workshop. April 7–8, 2005, College Corner, Ohio. Cosponsor: National Hearing Conservation Association (NHCA).
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Workshop on Hearing Protection Devices. March 27–28, 2003, Washington, D.C. Jointly sponsored by the U.S. EPA and NIOSH.
- Best Practices Workshop on Impulsive Noise and its Effects on Hearing. May 8–9, 2003, Cincinnati, Ohio. Cosponsor: NHCA.
- Best Practices Workshop on Combined Effects of Chemicals and Noise on Hearing. April 11–12, 2002, Cincinnati, Ohio. Cosponsor: NHCA.
- Best Practices on Hearing Conservation for the Construction Industry. March 30–31, 2000 Location: Washington, D.C. Cosponsor: Laborers’ International Health and Safety Fund of North America (LHSFNA).
- Best Practices in Hearing Loss Prevention in the Manufacturing Sector. October 28, 1999, Detroit, Michigan. Cosponsor: NHCA.
- Control of Workplace Hazards for the 21st Century: Setting the Research Agenda. March 10–12, 1998, Chicago, Illinois. Cosponsors: American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO