Outputs: Research to Practice
Historically, NIOSH has been a leader in applying research to develop workplace solutions that reduce injury and illness. Research to Practice (r2p) is a NIOSH initiative focused on the transfer and translation of research findings, technologies, and information into highly effective prevention practices and products that are effectively adopted in the workplace.
Two examples demonstrate recent successes and ongoing efforts supported by the NIOSH Economics Program:
- A course was developed to introduce master’s level students at the Williams College of Business to the business value of safety and health. In 2009, the success of this team effort was recognized by a Bullard-Sherwood Research to Practice award. Expanding on this success, NIOSH is in the process of developing modules on this general topic .
- We are actively working with employers to help them assess the value of their investments in worker safety and health, using a standardized template. For example, we are working to develop four new case studies of cost-effective interventions that are implemented by our employer partners in oil and gas extraction and in public safety.
NIOSH continues to work with partners to focus research on ways to develop effective products, translate research findings into practice, target dissemination efforts, and evaluate and demonstrate the effectiveness of these efforts in improving worker safety and health.
- Page last reviewed: December 13, 2012
- Page last updated: December 13, 2012
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Office of the Director