Occupational Energy Research Program
NOTE: This page is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Located near Amarillo, Texas, the Pantex Plant has undergone many changes since it was built in the 1940s. In 1942, the plant was constructed by the Army to prepare artillery shells and bombs for World War II efforts. It stopped operating in the mid-1940s after the war ended and was sold to what is now Texas Tech University. Since then, the plant has been used to refurbish nuclear weapons and explosives, and is currently used to maintain the nation’s nuclear weapons stockpile and dismantle weapons retired by the military.
Nuclear workers from the Pantex Plant have been included in a few NIOSH studies. Below are fact sheets that summarize some of the study findings for workers.
Mortality update for the Pantex Weapons Facility (2005)
Publications from NIOSH studies done at Pantex
health effects of downsizing in the nuclear industry: Pantex.
(2000) Final Report.
Medical screening programs available to workers
Building Trades National Medical