Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

NIOSHTIC-2 Publications Search

Search Results

Fact sheet: overview - non-fatal work-related injuries to Massachusetts teens.

Authors
Pazos Vautin-B
Source
Boston, MA: Massachusetts Department of Public Health, 2013 Spring; :1-2
NIOSHTIC No.
20042875
Abstract
Overview: From January 2005 through December 2010, 1,666 work-related injuries to Massachusetts teens were reported to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Over half of the injuries (57%) were identified through workers' compensation (WC) lost wage claims; the other 43% were identified through reports from a small sample of hospital emergency departments (ED). This fact sheet provides a snapshot of these non-fatal work-related injuries to Massachusetts teens. Injuries Snapshot: More Massachusetts teens (30%) work in restaurants, including fast food, than in any other single industry. Grocery stores and other retail combined account for another 31% of the teen workforce, while health care and construction each make up a small proportion. These five industries accounted for nearly 75% of all injuries to young workers. Restaurants was the most common industry in which youth were injured, similar to its workforce makeup. On the contrary, teens working in health care, including hospitals and nursing homes, accounted for 12% of all injuries despite making up just 4% of the teen workforce.
Keywords
Injuries; Injury-prevention; Adolescents; Surveillance-programs; Employee-health; Occupations; Information-systems; Health-care; Emergency-care; Statistical-analysis; Humans; Workers; Work-environment; Public-health; Health-protection; Training; Risk-factors; Hazards; Occupational-health-programs; Occupational-safety-programs; Food-services; Safety-education; Work-practices; Industrial-safety; Industrial-environment; Age-factors; Grocery-stores; Retail-workers; Construction; Construction-workers; Sex-factors; Health-surveys
Contact
Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Occupational Health Surveillance Program, Teens at Work: Injury Surveillance and Prevention Project, 250 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02108
Publication Date
20130301
Document Type
Other
Email Address
Beatriz.Pazos@state.ma.us
Funding Type
Cooperative Agreement
Fiscal Year
2013
NTIS Accession No.
NTIS Price
Identifying No.
Cooperative-Agreement-Number-U60-OH-008490; B20130801
Source Name
Fact sheet: overview - non-fatal work-related injuries to Massachusetts teens
State
MA
Performing Organization
Massachusetts State Department of Public Health - Boston
TOP