Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

NIOSHTIC-2 Publications Search

Search Results

Previously undetected silicosis in New Jersey decedents.

Authors
Goodwin-SS; Stanbury-M; Wang-M-L; Silbergeld-E; Parker-JE
Source
Am J Ind Med 2003 Aug; 44(3):304-311
NIOSHTIC No.
20033848
Abstract
Background-Despite a reported decline in mortality and hospitalizations associated with silicosis (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, [1999]), this decline may be artifactual, stemming in part from underdiagnosis by physicians. Methods-This study estimates, through radiological confirmation, the prevalence of unrecognized silicosis in a group of silica-exposed New Jersey decedents whose cause of death was chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), tuberculosis, or cor pulmonale. Two expert readers re-evaluated the chest X-rays of this group to determine the presence or absence of silicosis. The study population was considered to be presumptively exposed to silica dust by virtue of their usual industry of employment as listed on the death certificate. Results-Radiographic evidence of silicosis was found in 8.5% of this population, and evidence of asbestosis was found in another 10.7%, for a total of 19.2%. Conclusions-The existence of previously unrecognized silicosis and asbestosis in 19.2% of this study group suggests that occupational lung disease is under-recognized and, hence, undercounted.
Keywords
Quartz-dust; Silica-dusts; Silicosis; Asbestos-dust; Asbestos-fibers; Asbestosis; Pneumoconiosis; Radiography; Lung-disease; Lung-fibrosis; Lung-irritants; Respiratory-irritants; Respiratory-system-disorders; Pulmonary-system-disorders; Pulmonary-disorders; Occupational-exposure; Occupational-diseases; Occupational-respiratory-disease; Aerosol-particles; Airborne-particles; Dust-particles; Dust-exposure; Author Keywords: silicosis; New Jersey; surveillance; occupational disease/diagnosis; asbestosis; pneumoconiosis/radiography
Contact
Susan S. Goodwin, Graduate School Health Sciences, Room 213, The Learning Center, New York Medical College, Valhalla NY 10595
CODEN
AJIMD8
CAS No.
14808-60-7
Publication Date
20030801
Document Type
Journal Article
Email Address
susan_goodwin@nymc.edu
Funding Type
Cooperative Agreement
Fiscal Year
2003
NTIS Accession No.
NTIS Price
Issue of Publication
3
ISSN
0271-3586
NIOSH Division
DRDS
Source Name
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
State
NY; NJ; MI; WV; MD
Performing Organization
New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
TOP