Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

NIOSHTIC-2 Publications Search

Search Results

Dimensional assessment of X-bearing and Y-bearing haploid and disomic human sperm with the use of fluorescence in situ hybridization and objective morphometry.

Authors
Zavaczki-Z; Celik-Ozenci-C; Ovari-L; Jakab-A; Sati-GL; Ward-DC; Huszar-G
Source
Fertil Steril 2006 Jan; 85(1):121-127
NIOSHTIC No.
20029236
Abstract
To explore the dimensional attributes of haploid and disomic X-bearing and Y-bearing spermatozoa. Morphometric evaluation of more than 2,000 X-bearing and Y-bearing spermatozoa after identification of the genotype with fluorescence in situ hybridization. Academic clinical and research andrology laboratory. Sperm head area, perimeter, long axis, short axis, shape factor, elliptical form factor (long axis/short axis), and tail length. We found no differences in dimensions or dimensional distributions between X-bearing and Y-bearing spermatozoa, whether in the native or the decondensed state, or in oligozoospermic or normozoospermic men. There were inconsistent differences and a 70% overlap in the dimensions of haploid and disomic spermatozoa. The other 30% of sperm with disomic nuclei were either smaller or larger compared to haploid spermatozoa. There are no differences, or distinguishing characteristics, in dimensions or dimensional distributions between X-bearing and Y-bearing spermatozoa. Dimensional attributes do not discriminate between dysomic and haploid spermatozoa.
Keywords
Spermatozoa; Spermatogenesis; Laboratory-testing; Fertility; Sterility; Sexual-reproduction
CODEN
FESTAS
Publication Date
20060101
Document Type
Journal Article
Email Address
gabor.huszar@yale.edu
Funding Type
Grant
Fiscal Year
2006
NTIS Accession No.
NTIS Price
Identifying No.
Grant-Number-R01-OH-004061
Issue of Publication
1
ISSN
0015-0282
Source Name
Fertility and Sterility
State
CT; NV
Performing Organization
Yale University
TOP