Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

NIOSHTIC-2 Publications Search

Search Results

Effect of Water Sprays for Respirable Dust Suppression With a Research Continuous-mining Machine.

Authors
Courtney-WG; Jayaraman-NI; Behum-PT
Source
NTIS: PB 279 881 :10 pages
Link
NIOSHTIC No.
10000083
Abstract
The Bureau of Mines conducted a field test program in the Pittsburgh coal seam to investigate the effect of water sprays in the suppression of respirable dust being formed while cutting with a continuous-mining machine. Emphasis was given to the location of spray nozzles on the top and bottom of the cutting boom. Results showed that (1) sumping caused about 60 percent of the dust escaping the face area, and shearing and loading caused the other 40 percent; (2) during sumping, top and bottom sprays were equally effective in dust suppression and reduced dust approximately 13 percent; (3) during shearing and loading, bottom sprays reduced dust 61 percent and were about 50 percent more effective than top sprays; (4) the combination of top and bottom sprays was slightly more effective than the separate systems, but water consumption increased 60 percent; and (5) inclusion of throat-sprays decreased dust reduction by removing some of the water from top and bottom sprays where it was more effective.
Publication Date
19780101
Document Type
IH; Report of Investigations
Fiscal Year
1978
NTIS Accession No.
PB-279881
NTIS Price
A02
Identifying No.
RI-8283
NIOSH Division
PRC;
Source Name
NTIS: PB 279 881
TOP