Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

NIOSHTIC-2 Publications Search

Search Results

NIOSH Testimony on the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) by R. W. Niemeier, September 13, 1991.

Authors
NIOSH
Source
NIOSH 1991 Sep:3 pages
Link
NIOSHTIC No.
00207670
Abstract
This testimony concerns the proposal of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to determine substantial and significant human exposure to manufactured chemicals. In this proposal, the EPA plans to define substantial exposure as over 1000 workers exposed. NIOSH indicates that of the 3996 chemicals currently listed in the Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances for which NIOSH National Occupational Exposure Survey (NOES) data are available, only 12% are currently regulated by OSHA. Approximately 75% of these chemicals meet the 1000 or more workers exposed criterion. Of the remaining 25% for which fewer than 1000 workers are exposed, the health effects of 8% are sufficient to be regulated by OSHA. NIOSH urges the EPA to consider its alternative proposal that would result in testing for compounds for which fewer than 1000 workers are exposed.
Keywords
NIOSH-Author; NIOSH-Testimony; Niemeier-R-W; Occupational-exposure; Worker-health; Industrial-safety-programs; Legislation; Regulations;
Publication Date
19910913
Document Type
Testimony;
Fiscal Year
1991
NTIS Accession No.
PB92-206135
NTIS Price
A01
Source Name
NIOSH, 3 pages
TOP