Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

NIOSHTIC-2 Publications Search

Search Results

Biological availability of certain metals in coal.

Authors
Nord-PJ; Bingham-E
Source
Trace Substances in Environmental Health - VI. D. D. Hemphill, Editor, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 1973 Jan; 6:341-345
Link
NIOSHTIC No.
00071222
Abstract
As part of an investigation of the factors important in the development of coal workers pneumoconiosis, the biological availability of certain metals from coal was investigated. The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health provided micronized coal samples from two different mining areas. One sample (Mine 1) is from an area (Pennsylvania) of a high prevalence of coal worker's pneumoconiosis and the other sample (Mine 2) is from an area (Utah) with little disease. The two coal samples differed markedly in content of metals and other compounds. Notable differences were found in the content of free silica (7631869), lead (7439921), nickel (7440020) and chromium (7440473). In an effort to determine the biological availability of certain metals, samples of coal were mixed with serum, lung washings (LW), and saline. The mixtures were held at room temperature or 37 degrees centigrade for various periods up to two weeks. The coal particles were removed from the fluids by filtration and centrifugation. Analysis of the fluids for content of certain metals was by atomic absorption spectroscopy. Saline and LW eluted about 70 percent of the nickel contained in the coal from Mine 1 (total nickel 1,000 micrograms per gram of coal) in 24 hours, whereas only 5 percent was eluted by the serum in 24 hours. After 5 days the quantity of nickel elute was almost 100 percent (by the serum). The quantity eluted by LW and saline was approximately 75 percent after 5 days. The elution of nickel from the other coal sample (Mine 2 total nickel 108 micrograms per gram of coal) was slower. The serum eluted 15 percent of the nickel after 3 days and 80 percent after 10 days. LW and saline did not elute nickel from the sample after 5 days. Data are presented on the elution of iron (7439896), calcium (7440702), magnesium (7439954), and aluminum (7429905). The potential health significance is discussed.
Keywords
NIOSH-Contract; Contract-099-71-0018; NIOSH-Grant; Pulmonary-system-disorders; Heavy-metals
Contact
Environmental Health University of Cincinnati Eden and Bethesda Avenues Cincinnati, Ohio 45219
CODEN
PUMTAG
CAS No.
7631-86-9; 7439-92-1; 7440-02-0; 7440-47-3; 7439-89-6; 7440-70-2; 7439-95-4; 7429-90-5
Publication Date
19730101
Document Type
Conference/Symposia Proceedings
Editors
Hemphill-DD
Funding Amount
158962
Funding Type
Grant
Fiscal Year
1973
NTIS Accession No.
NTIS Price
Identifying No.
Grant-Number-R01-OH-00357
ISSN
0361-5162
Priority Area
Pulmonary-system-disorders
Source Name
Trace Substances in Environmental Health - VI. D. D. Hemphill, Editor, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
State
PA; UT; MO; OH;
Performing Organization
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
TOP