Certified Product Investigation Process (CPIP) - FY11
- To maintain the quality of NIOSH Certified respiratory protective devices used in the field by investigating and resolving reports of product nonconformance issues in a timely manner.
- Respond to all reports of nonconforming respirators.
- Evaluate corrective actions taken by approval holders to ensure conformance to the criteria listed in 42 CFR, Part 84.
- Respirator Users
- Enforcement Agencies
- Emergency Responders
- Respirator manufacturers worldwide - # of new manufacturing codes issued since 2004 - 2010:
- Communicate and interact with manufacturers and distributors world-wide.
- Respond to various levels of demand.
- Establish and enforce accountability for nonconformances.
- 3 Firefighter reports generated
- 26 CPIP investigations completed
- 7 User Notices issued
- 10 NIOSH Approvals rescinded
- 3 Stop-sale requests
- Major field investigation resulted in expanded surveillance program.
- Ensure that NIOSH approved respiratory devices continue to meet or exceed the criteria on which the approval was based.
- Improved respirator components.