NIOSH Work Group: Human Performance
Laboratory Excellence – FY12
NOTE: This page is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
- To conduct an assessment of NIOSH / NPPTL physiology research laboratory practices and procedures.
- In 2010, 4 of the 10 protocols deemed by the HSRB to be “greater than minimal risk” were from NPPTL
- In October 2010, NIOSH/OD requested information from NPPTL regarding typical subject safety practices on human physiology studies
- WG team was formed
- No recognized standard for assessment of physiology research laboratories
- Benchmark existing practices for human subject studies against peer organizations doing similar work involving life-safety equipment such as PPE
- Benchmark survey and gaps report (completed Dec 2011)
- Improve safety practices at NPPTL
- Better recognition of industry standards by NIOSH HSRB