Demonstration and Sentinel Surveillance
System of PPE Usage in US Healthcare Workers – FY09
- Utilize the Early Aberration Reporting System (EARS) to gather data related to PPE: selection, usage, supply, ordering, defects, fitting, safety programs and implementation that protect HCW.
- Determine what specific activities and resources are utilized by various hospital systems in these hazard prevention programs (HPP).
- Evaluate the quality and effectiveness of PPE in HPP.
- Use system to demonstrate and report best practices of PPE in HPP.
- OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134
- NIOSH 42 CFR 84
- Kelsey Seybold Hospital Systems
- Vanderbilt University Hospital Systems
- Healthcare workers
- First Receivers
- Hospital Infection Control and Safety Officers
- Monitor the selection, use, supply, defects, audits, recalls and effectiveness of PPE Safety programs in HPP in five major hospitals in the US.
- 1Q - Obtain input for proposal
- 2Q - Finalize proposal
- 3Q - Peer review proposal
- 4Q - Begin implementation pending funding
- Publish results
- Recommendations to inform
- Will translate results into the development of timely PPE interventional response in Pandemic Influenza and other disasters.
- Will differentiate between “equipment failure” and “utilization failure”.
- The results will be used to develop policies, SOPs, and correct actions for first receiver agencies (healthcare settings) nationwide.
- Serve as a model to ensure that hospitals are better prepared for Pandemic Influenza and/or other disasters (natural and man-made).
- The system will inform and educate the preparedness and performance even in circumstances of community use of PPE.