Development of Computer-Aided Face-Fit Evaluation Methods - FY09
- Establish up-to-date respirator fit-test panels and test headforms to be incorporated into the national and ISO standards
- Develop an anthropometric database of Asian workers
- Investigate the correlation between 3 -D parameters and face fit
- ISO TC94 SC15 WG1 PG5
- 29 CFR Part 1910.134
- Respirator Users
- Develop an anthropometric survey detailing the face size distributions of respirator users using both traditional measurement methods and three-dimensional (3-D) scanning systems
- Investigate the extent to which facial features can predict respirator fit and protection
- Develop respirator fit test panels using the traditional bivariate approach and the principal component analysis (PCA)
- Develop test head forms
- Q1 Complete the third generation head form development.
- Q2 Submit manuscript for the new head forms to OD for approval.
- Q3 Submit the manuscript on facial differences between gender, age, and race to OD for approval.
- Q4 Draft an abstract for AIHce 2010 and Complete investigation of the association between fit and 3-D shape parameters.
- Manuscripts published or submitted to peer review journals (approx. 9)
- Presentations at conferences (approx. 19)
- Standards committee meetings & public meetings (approx. 10)
- The techniques and methods developed in this study will result in the ability of manufacturers to design respirators with improved face-fitting characteristics
- Fit Test Panel and head forms incorporated in respirator testing and certification and ISO standards