PHYSIOLOGICAL MODELS AND COUNTERMEASURES FY08
- Establish an understanding of the physiological "burden" imposed by personal protective ensembles
- Perform research on countermeasures to this "burden"
- Firefighters/emergency responders
- Standards organizations (NFPA, ASTM)
- Manufacturers of materials and ensembles
- Conduct PPE ensemble physiologic testing in the NPPTL research physiology laboratory
- Physiologic test of conductive & convective cooling countermeasures
- Develop & test model of regional vs. global cooling countermeasures
- Incorporate data from current project and Project HEROES in the development of physiologic models and countermeasures
- Q1-Q3 Continue subject recruiting and data collection
- Q4 Complete data collection, data analysis, and begin manuscript preparation
- Manuscripts published or submitted to peer review journals
- Presentations to stakeholders or conferences (approx. 5)
- Standards committee meetings & public meetings (approx.3)
- Regional cooling study could have impact on ASTM F23.6 physiological test methods.
- Physiologically relevant performance criteria incorporated into NFPA and ISO standards.
Page last updated: August 08, 2008
Page last reviewed: August 08, 2008
Content Source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)