Respirator Use Epi-Aid
- To assess the protection offered by NIOSH-approved respirators when used outside of a Respiratory Protection Program and identify ways that inadequate protection can be
- Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals (LDHH), Office of Public Health (Dr. Raoult Ratard, State Epidemiologist)
- ISEA and manufacturers
- Respirator users
- Members of the public involved in remediation of water-damaged homes
- Document the prevalence of proper donning of disposable N95 respirators among persons in Orleans Parish.
- Identify common mistakes made that would reduce the effectiveness of an N95 respirator.
- Provide education on proper wear and care of disposable N95 respirators.
- Determine the relationship between use of N95 respirator during reported clean-up activities in water-damaged or moldy buildings and symptom prevalence.
- Request from LDHH for technical assistance
- Design of survey methods, design and piloting of questionnaire
- Epi-1 report released, announcing EPI-AID
- Survey conducted in Orleans Parish by DRDS staff, EIS Officers, and volunteers representing LDHH
- More than 552 persons received education, training on proper use and care of N95 respirators.
- Peer-reviewed publications
- Presentations at scientific conferences