3.2g) RDRP Publications of Special Note Relating to Silica-Induced Disease
3.2f) Oxidant Injury is a Critical Mechanism for Interstitial Lung Disease | 3.3 Fiber-Induced Diseases
- Hubbs AF, Minhas NS, Jones W, Greskevitch M, Battelli LA, Porter DW, Goldsmith WT, Frazer D, Landsittel DP, Ma JYC, Barger M, Hill K, Schwegler-Berry D, Robinson VA, Castranova V . Comparative pulmonary toxicity of 6 abrasive blasting agents. Toxicol Sci 61:135-143 (A3-45). (ISI Web of Science: cited 8 times as of 7/20/06)
- Porter DW, Hubbs AF, Robinson VA, Battelli LA, Greskevitch M, Barger M, Landsittel D, Jones W, Castranova V . Comparative pulmonary toxicity of blasting sand and five substitute abrasive blasting agents. J Toxicol Environ Health. Part A 65: 1121-1140 (A3-46). (ISI Web of Science: cited 4 times as of 7/20/06)
- Hubbs AF, Greskevitch M, Kuemple E, Suarez F, Toraason M . Abrasive blasting agents: designing studies to evaluate relative risk. Proceedings for the 2004 Toxicology and Risk Assessment Conference. J Toxicol Environ Health Part A 68: 999-1016 (A3-47).
- Craighead JE, Kleinerman J, Abraham JF, Gibbs AR, Vallyathan NV, Juliano EB . Diseases associated with exposure to silica and non-fibrous silicate minerals. Arch Pathol Lab Med 112: 673-720 (A3-48). (ISI Web of Science: cited 86 times as of 7/20/06)
- Porter DW, Ramsey D, Hubbs AF, Battelli L, Ma J, Barger M, Landsetter D, Robinson VA, McLaurin J, Khan A, Jones W, Teass A, Castranova V . Time course of pulmonary response of rats to inhalation of crystalline silica: histological results and biochemical indices of damage, lipidosis and fibrosis. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 20 (Suppl 2): 1-14 (A3-58).
- Kuenpel WS, Tran C-L, Bailer AJ, Porter DW, Hubbs AF, Castranova V . Biological and statistical approaches to predicting human lung cancer risk from silica. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 20 (Suppl 2):15-22 (A3-59).
- Green FHY, Alhouse R, Weber KC . Prevalence of silicosis at death in underground coal miners. Am J Ind Med 16: 605-616 (A3-60). (ISI Web of Science: cited 7 times as of 7/20/06)
- Yucesoy B, Vallyathan V, Landsittel DP, Sharp DS, Weston A, Burlesson G, Semenov PP, McIntyre M, Luster MI . Association of TNF-alpha and IL-1 gene polymorphisms with silicosis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 172: 75-82, 2001 (A3-61). (ISI Web of Science: cited 19 times as of 7/20/06)
- Gulumian M, Borm PJA, Vallyathan V, Castranova V, Donaldson K, Nelson G, Murray J . Mechanistically identified suitable biomarkers of exposure, effect and susceptibility for silicosis: A comprehensive review. J Toxicol Environ Health Part B.9 pp 1-39 (A3-62).
- Vallyathan V, Castranova V, Pack D, Leonard S, Shumaker S, Hubbs AF, Shoemaker DA, Ramsey DM, Pretty JR, McLaurin JL, Khan A, Teass A . Freshly fractured quartz inhalation leads to enhanced lung injury and inflammation: potential role of free radicals. Am J Crit Care Med 152: 1003-1009 (A3-67). (ISI Web of Science: cited 53 times as of 7/20/06)
- Castranova V, Pailes WH, Dalal NS, Miles PR, Bowman L, Vallyathan V, Pack D, Weber KC, Hubbs AF, Schwegler-Berry D, Xiang J, Dey R, Blackford J, Ma JYC, Barger M, Shoemaker DA, Pretty JR, Ramsey DM, McLaurin JL, Klan A, Baron PA, Childress CP, Stettler LE, Teass AW. Enhance pulmonary response to the inhalation of freshly fractured silica as compared to aged dust exposure. Appl Occup Environ Hyg 11: 937-941 (A3-68).
- Porter DW, Hubbs AF, Mercer RR, Robinson VA, Ramsey D, McLaurin J, Khan A, Battelli L, Brumbaugh K, Teass A, Castranova V . Progression of lung inflammation and damage in rats after cessation of silica inhalation. Toxicol Sci 79: 370- 381 (A3-69). (ISI Web of Science: cited 2 times as of 7/20/06)
- Vallyathan V, Shi X, Dalar NS, Irr W, Castranova V . Generation of free radicals from freshly fractured silica dust: potential role in acute silica-induced lung injury. Am Rev Respir Dis 138: 1213-1219 (A3-70). (ISI Web of Science: cited 187 times as of 7/20/06)
- Ding M, Shi X, Lu YJ, Huang C, Leonard S, Roberts J, Antonini J, Castranova V Vallyathan V . Induction of activator protein -1 through reactive oxygen species by crystalline silica in JB6 cells. J Biol Chem 276: 9108-9144 (A3-71). (ISI Web of Science: cited 26 times as of 7/20/06)
- Goodman GB, Kaplan PD, Stachura I, Castranova V, Pailes WH, Lapp NL . Acute silicosis responding to corticosteroid therapy. Chest 101: 366-370 (A3-72). (ISI Web of Science: cited 14 times as of 7/20/06)
- Porter DW, Leonard SS, Castranova V . Particles and cellular oxidative stress. In: Donaldson K, Borm P, eds. The Toxicology of Particles pp119-138 (A3-76).
- Castranova V . Signaling pathways controlling the production of inflammatory mediators in response to crystalline silica exposure: Role of reactive oxygen/nitrogen species. Free Rad Biol Med 37: 916-925 (A3-77). (ISI Web of Science: cited 4 times as of 7/20/06)
- Shi X, Castranova V, Halliwell B, Vallyathan V . Reactive oxygen species and silica-induced carcinogenesis. J Toxicol Environ Health Reviews Part B. 1: 181-197 (A3-78). (ISI Web of Science: cited 82 times as of 7/20/06)
- Zeidler PC, Castranova V . Role of nitric oxide in pathologic responses of the lung to exposure to environmental/occupational agents. Redox Report 9: 7-18 (A3-79). (ISI Web of Science: cited 2 times as of 7/20/06)