Mining Product: Safety and Health Toolbox Talks
Original creation date: August 2016
The purpose of these Toolbox Talks is to provide information related to workplace hazards and risks to workers at Stone, Sand, Gravel, and Aggregates (SSGA) operations. This information can be used to increase workers’ health and safety. This series of Toolbox Talks was created using data from two sources: interviews with SSGA mine workers about hazards and risks at their worksite, and nonfatal and fatal injury data reported to the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) during the years 2009-2014. Each Toolbox Talk includes a quote from a mine worker to demonstrate a first person experience with a hazard or risk. This first person experience is then linked to MSHA injury data to show that these experiences are consistent with the realities of accidents, injuries, and fatalities. Finally, several questions are included that can be used to start a discussion about a specific Toolbox Talk topic - for instance, questions for the slips and falls topic are focused on having mine workers identify where slips and falls are likely to occur at their mine site and ways mine workers can protect themselves from slip and fall injuries. Altogether there are 13 talks included in this series.
Toolbox Talks are available as a webpage and also in PDF format for printing.
Authors: B Eiter, LG Mallett, JR Heberger
Software (Web) - August 2016
Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 2016 Aug: web software.
Brochure/flyer - August 2016
Version: Full PDF
Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 2016 Aug: PDF version
- Assessing and Monitoring Open Pit Mine Highwalls
- Knowledge Management and Transfer for Mine Emergency Response
- Make it Safer with Roof Screen
- Mine Rescue Training Facility Inventory - Compendium of Ideas to Improve US Coal Mine Rescue Training
- Probability of Making a Successful Mine Escape While Wearing a Self-Contained Self-Rescuer
- Technology News 482 - Ground Support Safety Training Video
- Technology News 497 - "You Are My Sunshine": A New Video Release From NIOSH on the Sunshine Mine Fire
- Technology News 535 - NIOSH Releases New Educational Video: Escape from Farmington No. 9: An Oral History
- Toolbox Training For Construction Aggregate Miners
- Visual Performance for Incandescent and Solid-State Cap Lamps in an Underground Mining Environment
- Page last reviewed: 11/18/2016
- Page last updated: 9/13/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program