Mining Product: Aggregate Training for the Safety Impaired
Original creation date: January 2007
This video follows two new hires through their first week on the job. Ted and Slick have not paid attention in training class and prove to be hazards to themselves as well as everyone around them. In the course of the week, they are fired from four different mines and learn the hard way what can happen if the dangers of surface mining are ignored.
Slick (a crash test dummy in real life) has several very close calls before the boys realize that safety is no laughing matter. The video uses humor to present 15 different hazards, as well as safety tips on how to avoid these hazards.
This video is also available in a Spanish language version. In addition, it can be ordered on DVD.
The following poster can be used as a supplement to the video. It will look best when printed on 11"x17" paper. The front side depicts the video's main protagonist, Slick. The back side has 14 "Tips for the Trainer" that reinforce the lessons from the video. Hang this poster in the safety room as a reminder to everyone not to be a dummy on the job, and use it during your annual refresher training to drive home the video's safety messages.
- Aggregate Training for the Safety Impaired Poster (Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2007-134d, 2007)
Authors: ET Cullen
Audience: Surface miners
Video - January 2007
Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2007-134d, 2007
- Hazard Recognition Training Program for Construction, Maintenance and Repair Activities
- Modernization and Further Development of the NIOSH Mine Emergency Response Training System (MERITS), Phase 1
- Rock Falls - Preventing Rock Fall Injuries in Underground Mines
- Technology News 482 - Ground Support Safety Training Video
- Technology News 491 - NIOSH Releases Two New Safety Training Videos
- Technology News 502 - A New Training Video for Aggregate Operators: Aggregate Training for the Safety Impaired
- Technology News 506 - The Sky is Falling!: NIOSH Releases Safety Video for Surface Mining Operations
- Technology News 522 - Blast Area Security: Flyrock Safety
- Technology News 524 - HazComWriter Compliance Tool for MSHA Rule 30 CFR Part 47 or OSHA Rule 29 CFR 1910.1200
- Toolbox Training on Flyrock Awareness
- Page last reviewed: 1/10/2013
- Page last updated: 11/8/2013
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program