Mining Product: AQE - Air Quantity Estimator
Original creation date: March 2006
The Air Quantity Estimator (AQE) provides a starting point for estimating the air quantity needed to dilute diesel particulate matter (DPM) in an underground large-opening mine, taking into account various input assumptions.
The AQE estimates the total air quantity needed to dilute DPM emissions that enter the main airstream of the mine to statutory levels. It helps operators pinpoint vehicles that are high DPM contributors. It also allows the user to make "what if" scenarios by varying the input parameters (e.g., the addition of filters, use of cleaner engines, etc.) to achieve the most efficient and practical ventilation system. Engine data must be known or estimated with some accuracy and assumptions must be made in order to limit the variability of the program output. The program does not ensure adequate face ventilation and personal exposure compliance.
Once the installation program is downloaded and unzipped, run setup.exe to install the program and necessary support files on the hard disk. The default installation folder is C:\Program Files\NIOSH\AQE.
Authors: RH Grau, SB Robertson, JG Dolgos, AJ Kwitowski
Audience: Underground miners
Software (Windows) - March 2006
NIOSHTIC2 Number: 20026305
Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 2006 Mar
- Aerosols Emitted in Underground Mine Air by Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel
- A Computer Software Program that Estimates Air Quantity Requirements in Large Opening Stone Mines
- DEEP Project on Evaluation of Diesel Particulate Filters at Inco's Stobie Mine
- Diesel Emissions Control Technologies in Metal/Nonmetal Mines
- Effectiveness of Selected Diesel Particulate Matter Control Technologies for Underground Mining Applications: Isolated Zone Study, 2003
- Effects of Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment Devices on Concentrations and Size Distribution of Aerosols in Underground Mine Air
- The Effects of Water Emulsified Fuel on Diesel Particulate Matter Concentrations in Underground Mines
- Monitoring and Control of Airborne Toxic Substances in Mining
- Noncoal Contractor Mining Facts - 2008
- Technology News 514 - The Air Quantity Estimator (AQE): A New Computer Software Tool for Large-opening Mine Ventilation Planning
- Page last reviewed: 9/20/2012
- Page last updated: 9/20/2012
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program