Metal/Nonmetal Mining Disasters: 1869 to Present
Note: Click on the column headings to sort ascending/descending or use the search box to narrow results by keyword or term.
Information for historical mine disasters was obtained from the following publications:
- Bureau of Mines I.C. 7493, Major Disasters at Metal and Nonmetal Mines and Quarries in the United States (Excluding Coal Mines)
- Historical Summary of Mine Disasters in the United States, Volume III, Metal and Nonmetal Mines, 1885-1998 (MSHA)
- Mine Disasters, OT 32, 2000 (MSHA)
- 1998-present, MSHA Fatalgrams and Fatality Reports
- Newspaper article citations from the archives at the National Mine Health and Safety Academy Library, Beckley, West Virginia (Historical Mining Disasters by Jane DeMarchi)
- Historical Data on Mine Disasters in the United States
Historical accident reports are available in the library archives at the National Mine Health & Safety Academy in Beckley, West Virginia. Please contact the MSHA Academy at 304-256-3266 or MSHAlibrary@dol.gov to check on the availability of a particular report. Visit MSHA's Home Page for recent mine accident reports.