Mining Project: Ventilation to Control Contaminants in Metal/NonMetal Mining Operations
To enhance worker health and safety in underground metal/nonmetal mines by improving the effectiveness of ventilation airflow, thereby limiting airborne contaminant (gases, DPM, and respirable dusts) concentrations to statutory levels or lower.
This project enhanced worker health and safety in underground metal/nonmetal (M/NM) mines by improving the effectiveness of ventilation airflow, thereby limiting airborne contaminant (gases, DPM, and respirable dusts) concentrations to statutory levels or lower.
This project involved three research aims:
- Determine appropriate strategies for booster fan use to increase the quality, quantity, and, hence, the effectiveness of ventilation airflow in both tabular and multi-level M/NM operations. Strategies include optimal location of the fan with respect to the face, minimally acceptable stopping designs to limit leakage between the booster fan and adjacent entry, timing for booster fan installation, and booster fan operational setting point determination.
- Determine appropriate strategies for controlled district recirculation to improve ventilation effectiveness in both tabular and multi-level M/NM operations. Strategies include acceptable recirculation percentages as a function of inby contaminant levels, booster fan placement (in-line in the return airway or in a crosscut), minimum stopping or bulkhead design to limit airflow losses in the intake airway, and distance of recirculation sites from the active faces (for dilution of dusts and gaseous contaminants).
- Determine if ion generation and filtration systems can be made a feasible methodology for removing airborne particulates (dust and DPM aerosols) from the ventilation airflow. Included will be designs for scaling-up smaller units, and best practices for using and locating these devices in M/NM operations.
- AQE - Air Quantity Estimator - 1.0.3
- A Computer Software Program that Estimates Air Quantity Requirements in Large Opening Stone Mines
- Lowering Respirable Dust at an Iron Ore Concentrator Plant Through Improved Ventilation Practices
- Noncoal Contractor Mining Facts - 2008
- Novel Stopping Designs for Large-Opening Metal/Nonmetal Mines
- Technology News 482 - Ground Support Safety Training Video
- Technology News 501 - Measuring Very Low Air Velocities in Underground Metal/Nonmetal Mines
- Technology News 514 - The Air Quantity Estimator (AQE): A New Computer Software Tool for Large-opening Mine Ventilation Planning
- Technology News 518 - Super Stopping: A Permanent Solid Stopping for Directing Ventilation Airflows in Large-opening Metal/Nonmetal Mines
- Technology News 519 - EZ-Up Curtain Stoppings: A Practical Solution for Directing Ventilation Airflows in Large-opening Metal/Nonmetal Mines
- Page last reviewed: 10/22/2016
- Page last updated: 10/22/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program