Mining Contract: Identification of Potential Roof Problems Using LED Lighting & Numerical Modeling of Highwall Stability Using FLAC3D
Ground vibration frequencies produced by blasting have a negative effect on highwall stability. This research develops light technology to help roof bolter operators better identify roof problems and uses FLAC3D software to model highwall stability and determine the effects of ground vibrations from blasting.
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is ongoing.
The purpose of capacity-building contracts is to help build the capacity of our nation’s workforce to address critical safety and health problems in U.S. mines by producing graduates with advanced degrees in mining and minerals engineering, and to help develop tenure-track faculty performing research in these areas. Applications for these competitive grants are announced as part of NIOSH OMSHR’s Broad Agency Announcements and are submitted by a Principal Investigator at a U.S. institution offering an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree in mining or minerals engineering.
For further information on capacity-building contracts, please submit a request to OMSHR@cdc.gov.
- Analysis of Mine Seismicity and Geotechnical Modeling for Improved Safety in Underground Coal Mines
- Computer Simulation of Ground Behaviour and Rock Bolt Interaction at Emerald Mine
- Determination of In Situ Deformation Modulus for Cemented Rockfill
- Development of Strength Criteria for Coal and Nonsedimentary Rock Masses and Investigation of Underground and Open Pit Mine Stability of Such Rock Masses
- Emerging Technologies: Aiding Responders in Mine Emergences and During the Escape From Smoke-Filled Passageways
- Evaluation of Mine Illumination Systems Using Numerical Modeling
- Initial Stability Study of Large Openings for the National Underground Science Laboratory at the Homestake Mine, Lead, SD
- Numerical Model Calibration for Simulating Coal Pillars, Gob and Overburden Response
- Proceedings: New Technology for Ground Control in Multiple-seam Mining
- Roof Monitoring in Limestone - Experience with the Roof Monitoring Safety System (RMSS)
- Page last reviewed: 7/19/2016
- Page last updated: 7/19/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program