Mining Contract: Coal Mine Dust Mitigation Through Novel Scrubber Development and Numerical Modeling
In the underground mining environment, dust generation resulting from mining activities remains a health and safety problem. Research under this capacity-building contract addresses the problem of dust in coals mines using two methods. The first method is dust removal using a novel scrubber and the second method is numerical modeling of migration dust through the mine ventilation network.
Contract Status & Impact
This contract is ongoing.
The purpose of capacity-building contracts is to help build the capacity of our nation’s workforce to address critical safety and health problems in U.S. mines by producing graduates with advanced degrees in mining and minerals engineering, and to help develop tenure-track faculty performing research in these areas. Applications for these competitive grants are announced as part of NIOSH OMSHR’s Broad Agency Announcements and are submitted by a Principal Investigator at a U.S. institution offering an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree in mining or minerals engineering.
For further information on capacity-building contracts, please submit a request to OMSHR@cdc.gov.
- Best Practices for Controlling Respirable Dust in Coal Mines
- Degasification System Selection for U.S. Longwall Mines Using an Expert Classification System
- Development of Strength Criteria for Coal and Nonsedimentary Rock Masses and Investigation of Underground and Open Pit Mine Stability of Such Rock Masses
- Effects of Weak Bands on Pillar Stability in Stone Mines: Field Observations and Numerical Model Assessment
- Elastic and Shear Moduli of Coal Measure Rocks Derived from Basic Well Logs Using Fractal Statistics and Radial Basis Functions
- Evaluation of the Relative Importance of Coalbed Reservoir Parameters for Prediction of Methane Inflow Rates During Mining of Longwall Development Entries
- Identification of Potential Roof Problems Using LED Lighting & Numerical Modeling of Highwall Stability Using FLAC3D
- Pillar Strength and Design Methodology for Stone Mines
- Stochastic Modeling of Gob Gas Venthole Production Performances in Active and Completed Longwall Panels of Coal Mines
- Technology News 517 - New Updates for NIOSH Coal Mine Ground Control Software
- Page last reviewed: 7/18/2016
- Page last updated: 7/18/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program