Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH)
CAS number: 118–52–5
NIOSH REL: 0.2 mg/m3 TWA, 0.4 mg/m3 STEL
Current OSHA PEL: 0.2 mg/m3 TWA
1989 OSHA PEL: 0.2 mg/m3 TWA, 0.4 mg/m3 STEL
1993-1994 ACGIH TLV: 0.2 mg/m3 TWA, 0.4 mg/m3 STEL
Description of Substance: White powder with a chlorine-like odor.
LEL:. . Unknown
Original (SCP) IDLH*: Unknown [*Note: "Effective" IDLH = 5 mg/m3 -- see discussion below.]
Basis for original (SCP) IDLH: Very little data are available on which to base an IDLH for 1,3-dichloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin. For this draft technical standard, therefore, the respirators have been selected on the basis of the assigned protection factor afforded by each device up to 25 × the OSHA PEL of 0.2 mg/m3 (i.e., 5 mg/m3); only the "most protective" respirators are permitted for use in concentrations exceeding 5 mg/m3.
Short-term exposure guidelines: None developed
ACUTE TOXICITY DATA
Lethal concentration data:
|Rat||Glyco 1981||-----||20,000 mg/m3||1 hr||25,000 mg/m3 (1.25)||2,500 mg/m3|
Lethal dose data:
Korolev et al. 1982
Korolev et al. 1982
|3,794 mg/m3 |
|379 mg/m3 |
Human data: None relevant for use in determining the revised IDLH.
|Revised IDLH: 5 mg/m3
Basis for revised IDLH: Based on health considerations and acute oral toxicity data in animals [Kay 1961/62; Korolev et al. 1982], a value of about 500 mg/m3 would have been appropriate for 1,3-dichloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin. However, the revised IDLH for 1,3-dichloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin is 5 mg/m3 based on being 25 times the NIOSH REL and OSHA PEL of 0.2 mg/m3 (25 is an assigned protection factor for respirators and was used during the Standards Completion Program for deciding when the "most protective" respirators should be used for 1,3-dichloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin).
1. Chrostek WJ, Cromer JW . Health hazard evaluation report HHE 73-160-206, Glyco Chemicals, Inc., Williamsport, PA. Cincinnati, OH: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Division of Surveillance, Hazard Evaluations, and Field Studies.
2. Glyco Chemicals . 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-dimethyl-2,4-imidazolidinedione. In: TSCA 8(e) Submission to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (8EHQ-0281-0382). Williamsport,PA: Glyco® Chemicals, Inc.
3. Kay JH [1961/1962]. Unpublished technical reports. Northbrook, IL: Industrial Bio-Test Laboratories. (August 28, 1961; May 1, 1962).
4. Korolev AA, Vasilenko VE, et al. . Hygienic standard
of dichloantine and the product of its transforation with dimethylhydantoin
in water. Gig Sanit 47(6):76-78 (in Russian).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO