Health Effects of Exposure to Wood Dust and Wood Dust References
DHHS (NIOSH) Publication
This report identifies and summarizes the literature on the potential health effects of exposure to wood dust. This comprehensive literature review:
- defines wood
- discusses occupational exposure standards and reconmendations for wood dust
- describes reports of animal and in vitro testing
- examines human health effects including dermatitis, allergic respiratory effects, mucosal and nonallergic respiratory effects, and carcinogenicity.
Also included is a compilation of wood dust concentration ranges reported for various woodworking operations and a brief discussion of wood dust control technology. The report does not contain NIOSH recommendations for regulating occupational exposure to wood dust.
- Page last reviewed: February 28, 2011
- Page last updated: February 28, 2011
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Education and Information Division