DHHS (NIOSH) Publication Number 2013-124
MRSA Can Live on High-Touch Surfaces (Correctional Facilities)
Keep Surfaces and Equipment Clean
- Use cleaners or detergents for routine cleaning of surfaces.
- Use sanitizers as needed to reduce the number of germs on surfaces.
- For surfaces that have drainage from infected skin, clean the surface, and then use an EPA-registered disinfectant to kill the germs.
- Follow directions on the labels, and use gloves and eye protection as recommended.
- Frequently touched surfaces include shared work equipment, faucets, shower handles, doorknobs, tabletops, reusable restraints, and exercise equipment.
MRSA Can Live on High-Touch Surfaces (Correctional Facilities) [PDF - 3,791 KB]