DHHS (NIOSH) Publication Number 2007-143C
Updated February 2016
Data analysis for chemical protective clothing permeation testing involves a number of equations and experimental factors. Experimenter bias and possible calculation errors are critical issues when determining permeation parameters, including various breakthrough times, steady-state permeation rate, cumulative permeation, average permeation rate, etc.
Permeation Calculator, a Microsoft Windows compatible program, is a computer-based tool for automating the permeation testing data analysis. It works for both closed-loop and open-loop permeation testing. The program imports the data file collected during a permeation test and calculates the permeation parameters related to ASTM F 739, ASTM D 6978, and ISO 6529 standards based on a series of algorithms, strategies, and decision making. Upon completion, the program displays all of the calculated permeation parameters, the permeation curve, and other relevant information.
ASTM has adopted the Permeation Calculator as an industry standard (ASTM F2815-10 (Reapproved 2014)) “Standard practice for chemical permeation through protective clothing materials: testing data analysis by use of a computer program.” (http://www.astmnewsroom.org/default.aspx?pageid=2494)
Permeation Calculator helps researchers and industrial hygienists avoid labor intensive hand calculations of the permeation parameters. The program also prevents inconsistency as a result of different experimenters. It ensures identical permeation parameters from a particular permeation test data file.
Latest Version of Permeation Calculator V.2.5.0 for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows Vista:Permeation Calculator v2.5.0 Zip File, Operating Instructions, and Screen Shots:
- Download Permeation Calculator Version 2.5.0/PermCalc.zip
- Operating Instructions for the Permeation Calculator Version 2.5.0 [PDF - 84KB]
- Screen Shots of the Permeation Calculator Version 2.5.0 [PDF - 1.1MB]
Previous Version of Permeation Calculator V.2.4.1 for Previous Windows (e.g., Windows XP or before):Permeation Calculator v2.4.1 - Zip File, Operating Instructions and Screen Shots:
- Download Permeation Calculator Version 2.4.1/PermCalc.zip
- Operating Instructions for the Permeation Calculator Version 2.4.1 [PDF - 74KB]
- Screen Shots of the Permeation Calculator Version 2.4.1 [PDF - 1.2MB]
- Click on the link “Download Permeation Calculator v2.5.0.zip” or “Download Permeation Calculator v2.4.1.zip”, and click on “Open”.
- Click on the icon “PermCalc” and select “Extract all”.
- Save all six (6) *.dll files and the "PermCalc.exe" file in the same subfolder on your computer!
- Click on the executable file "PermCalc.exe" to run the software.
Data Files for Practice:
Gao, P., Weise, T., and Tomasovic, B.: Development of a computer program for permeation testing data analysis. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Hygiene, 6(6): 363-373 (2009).
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM): Standard practice for chemical permeation through protective clothing materials: testing data analysis by use of a computer program (Method F2815-10 (Reapproved 2014)). Philadelphia, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials, 2014.
For a complete set of application procedures, contact the author, Pengfei Gao, at 412-386-6885 or by E-mail at email@example.com.
- Page last reviewed: February 17, 2016
- Page last updated: February 19, 2016
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Education and Information Division