Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events
2015 VAE surveillance is available in plan for adult inpatient locations only. See PNEU/VAP for in-plan surveillance for pediatric locations. In-plan surveillance for ventilated associated PNEU is no longer available for neonatal patients.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- New VAE, VAP and PNEU Training February 2015 [Video - 145 min]
- Hot Topics – Quick Learn
VAE, VAP and PNEU Definition Changes for January 2015 [Video - 11 min]
- Introduction to Device-associated Module Training [CBT - 60 min]
- New NHSN General HAI Definition Updates February 2015 [Video - 74 min]
- Hot Topics – Quick Learn
NHSN Definition and Rules Changes for January 2015 [Video - 10 min]
- CDC/NHSN Patient Safety Component Manual Summary of Revisions, April 2015 [PDF - 54 KB]
- Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) Protocol April 2015 [PDF - 566 KB]
- NHSN Overview January, 2015 [PDF - 98 KB]
- Identifying Healthcare-associated Infections (HAIs) in NHSN April 2015 [PDF - 248 KB]
- Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan April 2015 [PDF - 49 KB]
Frequently Asked Questions
For full details on protocol definitions and the application of these definitions, please review the applicable protocol and Chapter 2, Identifying Healthcare-associated Infection (HAI) for NHSN Surveillance [PDF - 233 KB] in the NHSN Module.
Data Collection Forms
- 57.112 Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) form January 2015 [PDF - 230 KB]
- 57.117 Denominators for Specialty Care Area (SCA) form January 2015 [PDF - 54 KB]
- 57.118 Denominators for Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/Other locations (not NICU or SCA) form January 2015 [PDF - 50 KB]
- 57.151 Patient Safety Component—Annual Facility Survey for IRF January 2015 [PDF - 229 KB]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2015 [PDF - 123 KB]
- 57.115 HAI Custom Event form January 2015 [PDF
- 213 KB]
- Customizable form [DOCX
- 52 KB]
**Not to be used for CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI, VAE, pediatric VAP, or LabID events.**
To be used in conjunction with the CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections April 2015 [PDF - 385 KB] Chapter in the NHSN Patient Safety Manual.
- Customizable form [DOCX - 52 KB]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 [PDF - 370 KB]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions January 2015 [PDF - 448 KB]
- NHSN Key Terms April 2015 [PDF - 109 KB]
- Updated IRF Locations in NHSN May 2012 [PDF - 3 MB]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Top Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2015 [XLSX - 248 KB]
- Guidance for Missing Device-associated Denominator Data [PDF - 149 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN January 2015 [PDF - 274 KB]
Calculator and Worksheets
- Ventilator-Associated Event Calculator (Version 3.0)
- VAE Data Collection Worksheet January 2015 [PDF - 161 KB]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet January 2015 [PDF - 76 KB]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet Instructions January 2015 [PDF - 203 KB]
Related Publications and Other Resources
- Michael Klompas M, Kleinman K, Murphy MV for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2014).
Descriptive Epidemiology and Attributable Morbidity of VAE
Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 35(5): 502-10.
- Dessap AM, Katsahian S, Roche-Campo F, Varet H, Kouatchet A, Tomicic V, Beduneau G, Sonneville R, Jaber S, Darmon M, Castanares-Zapatero D, Brochard L, Brun-Buisson C (2014).
Ventilator-associated pneumonia during weaning from mechanical ventilation
[published online ahead of print March 20, 2014] Chest.
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013).
Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated events
Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Klompas M, (2013).
Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC's New Surveillance Paradigm
N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012).
Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units.
Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):471-7.
- More - Complete listing of VAE Related Publications April 2014 [PDF - 68 KB]
Resources to Help Prevent Infections
- Page last reviewed: February 23, 2015
- Page last updated: February 23, 2015
- Content source: