Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events (VAE)
2015 VAE surveillance is available in plan for adult inpatient locations only. See PNEU/VAP for in-plan surveillance for pediatric locations. In-plan surveillance for ventilated associated PNEU is no longer available for neonatal patients.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- New VAE, VAP and PNEU Training February 2015 [Video - 145 min]
- Hot Topics – Quick Learn
VAE, VAP and PNEU Definition Changes for January 2015 [Video - 11 min]
- New NHSN General HAI Definitional Updates February 2015 [Video - 74 min]
- Hot Topics – Quick Learn
NHSN Definition and Rules Changes for January 2015 [Video - 10 min]
Frequently Asked Questions
For full details on protocol definitions and the application of these definitions, please review the applicable protocol and Chapter 2, Identifying Healthcare-associated Infection (HAI) for NHSN Surveillance [PDF - 233 KB] in the NHSN Module.
Data Collection Forms
Calculator and Worksheets
Related Publications and Other Resources
- Michael Klompas M, Kleinman K, Murphy MV for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2014). Descriptive Epidemiology and Attributable Morbidity of Ventilator-Associated Events. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 35(5): 502-10.
- Dessap AM, Katsahian S, Roche-Campo F, Varet H, Kouatchet A, Tomicic V, Beduneau G, Sonneville R, Jaber S, Darmon M, Castanares-Zapatero D, Brochard L, Brun-Buisson C (2014). Ventilator-associated pneumonia during weaning from mechanical ventilation: role of fluid management [published online ahead of print March 20, 2014] Chest.
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013). Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated events. Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Muscedere J, Sinuff T, Heyland DK, Dodek PM, Keenan SP, Wood G, Jiang X, Day AG, Laporta D, Klompas M, on behalf of for the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group (2013). The Clinical Impact and Preventability of Ventilator-Associated Conditions in Critically Ill Patients Who Are Mechanically Ventilated Chest. 144(5):1453-1460.
- Klompas M, (2013). Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC's New Surveillance Paradigm N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012). Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units. Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):471-7.
- More - Complete listing of VAE Related Publications [PDF - 54 KB] April 2014
Resources to Help Prevent Infections