Surveillance for Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Events
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- Surgical Site Infections (SSI) Training [CBT - 60 min]
- New! SSI Surveillance and Case Studies - March 2016 [Video -182 min]
- New! ICD-10 PCS and CPT Transition - January 2016 [Video - 8 min]
- New! Patient Safety Component (PSC) Annual Survey - January 2016 [Video - 6 min]
- New! Surgical Site Infections (SSI) Event form for PATOS - January 2016 [Video – 6 min]
- Introduction to Procedure-associated Module Training
- New! General NHSN Definitions: Rules, Tools, Re-tools - March 2016 [Video -57 min]
- New! NHSN Definition and Rules Changes for January 2016 [Video - 8 min]
Frequently Asked Questions
For full details on protocol definitions and the application of these definitions, please review the applicable protocol and Chapter 2, Identifying Healthcare-associated Infection (HAI) for NHSN Surveillance [PDF - 233 KB] in the NHSN Module.
New! FAQs for 2016:
Data Collection Forms
- 57.120 Surgical Site Infection (SSI) January 2016 [PDF - 257 KB]
- 57.121 Denominator for Procedure January 2016 [PDF - 116 KB]
- 57.122 Denominator for Custom Procedure January 2016 [PDF - 110 KB]
- 57.103 Patient Safety Component—Annual Facility Survey form January 2016 [PDF - 311 KB]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2016 [PDF - 133 KB]
57.115 HAI Custom Event form January 2016 [PDF
- 255 KB]
Customizable form [DOCX
- 44 KB]
**Not to be used for CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI, VAE, pediatric VAP, or LabID events.**
To be used in conjunction with CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections January 2016 [PDF - 273 KB] NHSN Patient Safety Manual.
- Customizable form [DOCX - 44 KB]
CMS Supporting Materials
- Healthcare Facility HAI Reporting Requirements to CMS via NHSN Current and Proposed Requirements September 2015 [PDF - 105 KB]
- Reporting Requirements and Deadlines in NHSN per CMS Current Rules September 2015 [PDF - 161 KB]
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program
- CMS’ Hospital Compare tool
- Operational Guidance for Reporting Surgical Site Infection Data to CDC’s NHSN for the Purpose of Fulfilling CMS’s Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program Requirements November 2014 [PDF - 106 KB]
- How to Report No Procedure or SSI Events for the CMS Inpatient Quality Reporting Program June 2012 [PDF - 186 KB]
- Helpful Tips for SSI Reporting for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program (CMS Reporting Program) December 2014 [PDF - 28 KB]
- Using the "SIR- Complex 30-Day SSI Data for CMS IPPS" Output Option July 2014 [PDF - 175 KB]
- Operational Guidance for PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospitals to Report Surgical Site Infection (SSI) Data to CDC’s NHSN for the Purpose of Fulfilling CMS’s PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting (PCHQR) Program Requirements November 2014 [PDF - 124 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) [PDF - 297 KB]
- Updated December 21, 2015
- Additional Guidance for use with NHSN Operative Procedure Codes
Guidance for HPRO & KPRO Procedure Details [XLSX
- 42 KB]
This guidance document may be used for completing the NHSN procedure details for HPRO – hip arthroplasty and/or KPRO – Knee arthroplasty operative procedures.
FUSN ICD-10-PCS Codes – Guidance for Spinal Level and Approach. [XLSX
- 32 KB]
This supplemental guidance may be used to complete the spinal level and approach fields in the Operative Procedure Details section for FUSN procedures.
ICD-10 CM Diabetes Diagnostic Codes [XLSX - 16 KB]
ICD-10-CM codes included in this spreadsheet are acceptable for use to answer "YES" to "Diabetes Mellitus" for completing the NHSN Operative Procedure Details.
ICD-10-CM/PCS Codes for ‘prior infection at hip or knee joint’ denominator form question [XLSX - 20 KB]
Use ICD-10-PCS/CM diagnosis or procedure codes included in this spreadsheet to determine if patient meets criteria for ‘prior infection at index joint’.
- Guidance for HPRO & KPRO Procedure Details [XLSX - 42 KB]
- NHSN Patient Safety Component Alerts [PDF - 1 MB]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 [PDF - 370 KB]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions January 2016 [PDF - 470 KB]
- NHSN Key Terms January 2016 [PDF - 139 KB]
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections January 2016 [PDF - 273 KB]
ICD9-CM Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Categories January 2013. [XLSX - 178 KB]
Mapping of ICD-9-CM Procedure Codes to NHSN Operative Procedure categories.
ICD-9 Mapping Tool for HPRO and KPRO February 2014 [PDF - 197 KB]
This is an update to the Mapping Tool guidance that was sent out last week for those NHSN users who are following HPRO – hip Arthroplasty and KPRO – Knee Arthroplasty in their monthly surveillance plan. We realized there is a defect in the NHSN system that will cause an error message with the mapping tool we provided. This update addresses how to work around this issue.
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Top Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2015 [XLSX - 248 KB]
- Improving Risk-Adjusted Measures of Surgical Site Infection for the National Healthcare Safety Network [PDF - 540 KB]
- Sample Procedure Import File [XLSX - 19 KB]
- How to Import Patient Safety Procedure Data - June 2016 [PDF - 220 KB]
- Page last reviewed: February 23, 2015
- Page last updated: May 10, 2016
- Content source: