Surveillance for Healthcare Personnel Vaccination
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that all healthcare personnel (HCP) and persons in training for healthcare professions should be vaccinated annually against influenza. Persons who are infected with influenza virus, including those with subclinical infection, can transmit influenza virus to persons at higher risk for complications from influenza. Vaccination of HCP has been associated with reduced work absenteeism and with fewer deaths among nursing home patients and elderly hospitalized patients. Although annual vaccination is recommended for all HCP and is a high priority for reducing morbidity associated with influenza in healthcare settings, national survey data have demonstrated that vaccination coverage levels are only approximately 70% . This is well below the Healthy People 2020 goal of 90% for HCP influenza vaccination .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2009." MMWR 58, no. Early Release (2009):1-52.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “ Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2012–13 Influenza Season. ” MMWR 62(38);781-786. (Accessed August 26, 2014).
- Healthy People 2020. Immunization and Infectious Diseases . (Accessed June 15, 2012)
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: General Training. December 2015 [PDF - 5 MB]
General training slides on collecting and entering HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary data.
HCP Influenza Vaccination Summary: Acute Care Facilities. December 2015 [PDF - 750 KB]
Training slides covering acute care facility reporting requirements for the 2015-2016 influenza season.
Training Webinars for the HCP Vaccination Module, August 2014.
Re-casts and transcripts of these live training webinars.
Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module: Influenza Vaccination Summary Protocol August 2014 [PDF - 328 KB]
Guidelines and procedures monitored in the Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety Component or download the chapters individually:
- Introduction to Healthcare Personnel Safety Component August 2014 [PDF - 31 KB]
- Monthly Reporting Plan August 2014 [PDF - 22 KB]
- Influenza Vaccination Summary August 2014 [PDF - 116 KB]
- Key Terms August 2014. [PDF - 35 KB]
- Appendix A - Influenza Vaccination Summary: List of Contracted Healthcare Personnel August 2014 [PDF - 45 KB]
Data Collection Forms
- 57.203 Healthcare Personnel Safety Monthly Reporting Plan Form January 2016 [PDF - 92 KB]
- 57.214 Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Summary Form August 2014 [PDF - 155 KB]
- 57.215 Seasonal Survey on Influenza Vaccination Programs for Healthcare Personnel August 2014 [PDF - 116 KB]
CMS Supporting Materials
- Healthcare Facility HAI Reporting Requirements to CMS via NHSN Current and Proposed Requirements September 2015 [PDF - 105 KB]
- Reporting Requirements and Deadlines in NHSN per CMS Current Rules September 2015 [PDF - 161 KB]
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting Program
- CMS’ Hospital Compare tool
- Operational Guidance for Acute Care Hospitals to Report Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Data to CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) for the Purpose of Fulfilling CMS’s Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program Requirements and CMS’s Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting (OQR) Program Requirements. September 2015 [PDF - 88 KB]
- Using the “Line Listing –HCP Flu Vaccination Data for CMS IPPS and OPPS” Output Option [PDF - 167 KB] August 2014.
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) [PDF - 297 KB]
- NHSN Monthly Checklist for Reporting to CMS Hospital IQR July 2015
Resources to Help Prevent Infections
- Page last reviewed: February 23, 2015
- Page last updated: September 18, 2015
- Content source: