Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events
NOTE: ***July 2013 Protocol, Calculator and FAQ UPDATE*** Based on user feedback and discussions with the VAE Surveillance Definition Working Group, a modification has been made to the VAE surveillance protocol. Daily minimum PEEP values of 0-5 cmH2O will now be considered equivalent for the purposes of VAE surveillance and making VAC surveillance determinations. Please review and use the revised protocol dated July 2013 when performing VAE surveillance. You do not need to modify VAE reports that have already been completed and entered into the NHSN. For events not yet reported, and for ongoing surveillance for the remainder of 2013, please use the July 2013 protocol.
2013 VAE surveillance is available in plan for adult patients only. For in-plan surveillance for neonatal and pediatric patients, see PNEU/VAP.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
Webinars with Case Studies
Data Collection Forms
Calculator and Worksheets
Related Publications and Other Resources
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013). Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated events. Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Muscedere J, Sinuff T, Heyland DK, Dodek PM, Keenan SP, Wood G, Jiang X, Day AG, Laporta D, Klompas M, on behalf of for the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group (2013). The Clinical Impact and Preventability of Ventilator-Associated Conditions in Critically Ill Patients Who Are Mechanically Ventilated Chest. 144(5):1453-1460.
- A New Approach to Surveillance for Ventilator-Associated Events, November 2013 Chest Podcast Moderator: D. Kyle Hogarth, MD, FCCP, Podcast Editor, CHEST Participants: Shelley S. Magill, MD, PhD; Craig M. Lilly, MD, FCCP
- Lilly CM, Ellison RT (2013). Quality Measures for Critically Ill Patients: Where Does Ventilator-Associated Condition Fit in? Chest. 144(5):1429-1430.
- van Mourik MSM, Klouwenberg PMC, Ong DSY, Horn J, Schultz MJ, Cremer OL, Bonten M (2013). Electronic Implementation of the Ventilator-Associated Events Algorithm: the Solution for Variability? Abstract # 562, ID Week, San Francisco, CA, October 2-6, 2013.
- Drees M, Silverman B, Protokowicz N, Adkins L, Freeman L, Briody C, Wroten K, Depietro M (2013). Implementation of New Ventilator-associated Event Surveillance in a Community-based Academic Healthcare Center. Abstract # 1067, ID Week, San Francisco, CA, October 2-6, 2013.
- Lewis S, Li L, Murphy MV, Klompas M (2013). Risk Factors for Ventilator-Associated Events: A Case-Control Multivariate Analysis. Abstract # 1075, ID Week, San Francisco, CA, October 2-6, 2013.
van Mourik MSM, Murphy MV, Klompas M, and for the CDC Prevention Epicenters (2013). Risk-Adjustment for Ventilator-Associated Events Using Electronic Medical Record Data. Abstract # 1076, ID Week, San Francisco, CA, October 2-6, 2013.
- Klompas M, (2013). Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC's New Surveillance Paradigm
N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Prospero E, Illuminati D, Marigliano A, Pelaia P, Munch C, Barbadoro P, D'Errico MM (2012). Learning from Galileo: Ventilator-associated Pneumonia Surveillance. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 186(12):1308-9.
- Klompas M, Kleinman K, Khan Y, Evans RS, Lloyd JF, Stevenson K, Samore M, Platt R; CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2012). Rapid and reproducible surveillance for ventilator-associated pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 54(3):370-7.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012). Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units. Clin Infect Dis [Epub ahead of print].
- Klompas M, Magill S, Robicsek A, Strymish JM, Kleinman K, Evans RS, Lloyd JF, Khan Y, Yokoe DS, Stevenson K, Samore M, Platt R; for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2012). Objective surveillance definitions for ventilator-associated pneumonia. Crit Care Med 40(12):3154-3161.
- Klompas M, Sinuff T, Jiang X, Day A, Muscedere J, for the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group (2012). The Morbidity and Preventability of Ventilator- Associated Conditions Impact of National Policy on HAI Reporting and Prevention. Abstract #1232, ID Week, San Diego, CA, October 17-21, 2012.
- Klompas M, Khan Y, Kleinman K, Evans RS, Lloyd JF, Stevenson K, Samore M, Platt R, for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2011). Multicenter Evaluation of a Novel Surveillance Paradigm for Complications of Mechanical Ventilation. PLoS ONE. 6(3): e18062.
- Klompas M, Kleinman K, Platt R (2008). Development of an Algorithm for Surveillance of Ventilator-associated Pneumonia With Electronic Data and Comparison of Algorithm Results With Clinician Diagnoses. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 29(1):31-7.
Resources to Help Prevent Infections