Surveillance for Ventilator-associated Events
2015 VAE surveillance is available in plan for adult inpatient locations only. See PNEU/VAP for in-plan surveillance for pediatric locations. In-plan surveillance for ventilated associated PNEU is no longer available for neonatal patients.
Resources for NHSN Users Already Enrolled
- New! Patient Safety Component (PSC) Annual Survey January 2016 [Video - 6 min]
- New VAE, VAP and PNEU Training February 2015 [Video - 145 min]
- Hot Topics – Quick Learn
VAE, VAP and PNEU Definition Changes for January 2015 [Video - 11 min]
- Introduction to Device-associated Module Training [CBT - 60 min]
- New NHSN General HAI Definition Updates February 2015 [Video - 74 min]
- Hot Topics – Quick Learn
NHSN Definition and Rules Changes for January 2015 [Video - 10 min]
- Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) Protocol January 2016 [PDF - 982 KB]
- NHSN Overview January, 2016 [PDF - 171 KB]
- Identifying Healthcare-associated Infections (HAIs) in NHSN January 2016 [PDF - 369 KB]
- Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan January 2016 [PDF - 164 KB]
- CDC/NHSN Patient Safety Component Manual Summary of Revisions, April 2015 [PDF - 54 KB]
Frequently Asked Questions
For full details on protocol definitions and the application of these definitions, please review the applicable protocol and Chapter 2, Identifying Healthcare-associated Infection (HAI) for NHSN Surveillance [PDF - 233 KB] in the NHSN Module.
Data Collection Forms
- 57.112 Ventilator-Associated Event (VAE) form January 2016 [PDF - 284 KB]
- 57.118 Denominators for Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/Other locations (not NICU or SCA) form January 2016 [PDF - 54 KB]
- 57.150 Patient Safety Component—Annual Facility Survey for LTAC January 2016 [PDF - 312 KB]
- 57.106 Patient Safety Monthly Reporting Plan form January 2016 [PDF - 133 KB]
57.115 HAI Custom Event form January 2016 [PDF
- 255 KB]
Customizable form [DOCX
- 44 KB]
**Not to be used for CLABSI, CAUTI, SSI, VAE, pediatric VAP, or LabID events.**
To be used in conjunction with the CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections January 2016 [PDF - 929 KB] Chapter in the NHSN Patient Safety Manual.
- Customizable form [DOCX - 44 KB]
- VAE Surveillance Mechanical Ventilation Table January 2015 [PDF - 158 KB]
- NHSN Patient Safety Component Alerts [PDF - 1 MB]
- Unusual Susceptibility Profiles Alert January 2015 [PDF - 370 KB]
- CDC Location Labels and Location Descriptions January 2016 [PDF - 470 KB]
- NHSN Key Terms January 2016 [PDF - 139 KB]
- CDC/NHSN Surveillance Definitions for Specific Types of Infections January 2016 [PDF - 929 KB]
- NHSN Organism List (All Organisms, Top Organisms, Common Commensals, MBI Organisms, and UTI Bacteria) January 2015 [XLSX - 248 KB]
- Guidance for Missing Device-associated Denominator Data [PDF - 149 KB]
- Changing a CCN within NHSN (updated July 2015) [PDF - 297 KB]
CMS Supporting Materials
Calculator and Worksheets
Ventilator-Associated Event Calculator (Version 3.0)
- VAE Data Collection Worksheet January 2015 [PDF - 161 KB]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet January 2015 [PDF - 76 KB]
- VAE Antimicrobial Worksheet Instructions January 2015 [PDF - 203 KB]
Related Publications and Other Resources
- Michael Klompas M, Kleinman K, Murphy MV for the CDC Prevention Epicenters Program (2014).
Descriptive Epidemiology and Attributable Morbidity of VAE
Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 35(5): 502-10.
- Dessap AM, Katsahian S, Roche-Campo F, Varet H, Kouatchet A, Tomicic V, Beduneau G, Sonneville R, Jaber S, Darmon M, Castanares-Zapatero D, Brochard L, Brun-Buisson C (2014).
Ventilator-associated pneumonia during weaning from mechanical ventilation
[published online ahead of print March 20, 2014] Chest.
- Magill SS, Klompas M, Balk R, Burns SM, Deutschman CS, Diekema D, Fridkin S, Greene L, Guh A, Gutterman D, Hammer B, Henderson D, Hess D, Hill NS, Horan T, Kollef M, Levy M, Septimus E, Vanantwerpen C, Wright D, Lipsett P (2013).
Developing a new, national approach to surveillance for ventilator-associated events
Crit Care Med. 41(11):2467-75.
- Klompas M, (2013).
Complications of Mechanical Ventilation — The CDC's New Surveillance Paradigm
N Engl J Med. 368:1472-1475.
- Hayashi Y, Morisawa K, Klompas M, Jones M, Bandeshe H, Boots R, Lipman J, Paterson DL (2012).
Towards improved surveillance: the impact of ventilator-associated complications (VAC) on length of stay and antibiotic use in patients in intensive care units.
Clin Infect Dis. 56(4):471-7.
- More - Complete listing of VAE Related Publications April 2014 [PDF - 68 KB]
Resources to Help Prevent Infections
- Page last reviewed: February 23, 2015
- Page last updated: December 8, 2015
- Content source: