NHANES data files are available for download from the website as SAS transport files (.XPT). To use these files you need to create a directory to save them, download the data files and documentation, and then extract or import the datasets.
You will create a directory to save your data files, documentation, and extracted SAS datasets. This will help keep your transport files and datasets organized.
- Key Concepts about Creating a Directory for NHANES Tutorial
- How to Create a Directory for NHANES Tutorial
You need the data files to create your analytic dataset, and you need the documentation for reference as you continue your analysis.
- Key Concepts about Downloading Data Files and Documentation
- How to Download Data Files and Documentation
After downloading the SAS transport files, you will need to extract or import them as datasets. Transport files are not usable without completing this task.
- Key Concepts about Extracting and Copying NHANES Data Files as Permanent Libraries
- How to Extract and Copy NHANES Data Files as Permanent Libraries in SAS
- How to Import and Save NHANES Data Files in Stata
- Download Sample Code and Dataset