Participating in NHCS
A Message from the CDC Director
Running Time: 2 minutes, 7 seconds
Release Date: 5/3/2012
A message from CDC Director Thomas Frieden on the importance of participation in the National Hospital Care Survey
Your Hospital is Important to Us!
In order for policy makers to form solid, evidence-based decisions about health care in the U.S. it is essential that we collect data from all hospitals that are selected to participate in the National Hospital Care Survey. Each hospital selected for NHCS uniquely represents facilities of similar size, service type, or geographic location. Without your help, it may be impossible to make estimates about the amount and types of care provided for patients in hospitals like yours.
What’s In It for You?
- Compensation: Your facility will be paid $500 for setting up the procedures to send Uniform Bill (UB)-04 administrative claims data to NCHS and for sending a test file. Additionally your facility will receive $500 for each full year of UB-04 data submitted every year. That makes two $500 payments the first year and $500 every year thereafter. Hospitals which agree to allow NHCS project staff to abstract a sample of visits to ambulatory units will be paid an additional $500.
- CEU Credits: Health Information Management (HIM) professional staff members are eligible for continuing education credits after completion of an on-line training about participating in NHCS.
- Data for Comparisons: Results of this survey will allow you to compare your hospital to other facilities like your own. Selected summaries of your data and/or comparative profiles showing statistics for similar types of hospitals may be provided.
- National Statistics: By participating, your facility provides useful data on hospital care which will inform policies to improve the state of health care in the nation.
- Improved Patient Care: Your participation will result in more reliable statistics enabling researchers to better understand health care provided by hospitals.
Participating hospitals, are you ready to upload your UB-04/837 data? This link will take you straight to our Secure Data Transfer System maintained by Westat, an agent of the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS).
- NHCS Secure Transfer System:
- UB-04/837 Data File Specifications
- Facility Questionnaire
- Introductory packet materials:
- Professional Endorsements
- American Health Information Management Association [PDF - 126 KB]
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association [PDF - 396 KB]
- Federation of American Hospitals [PDF - 32 KB]
- America's Essential Hospitals [PDF - 288 KB]
- National Rural Health Association [PDF - 49 KB]
- Professor at Boston University School of Public Health [PDF - 99 KB]
- Other materials