- Review the steps in the NDI process, from applying for NDI approval to submitting your records for NDI searches.
The NDI program will permit a match to be listed if any 1 of 7 conditions are satisfied.
See a sample of how the NDI lists possible death record matches for a particular study subject.
This form must be submitted and approved before a researcher is permitted to submit records for an NDI match. Call us on 301-458-4444 before attempting to complete this form.
- NDI Application Form [PDF - 1.8 MB]
- Criteria to be Applied in Approving NDI Applications [PDF - 92 KB]
This document is presented here simply to give applicants an idea of how their applications will be reviewed.
- NDI Repeat Request Form [PDF - 510 KB]
Once NDI users complete their first NDI search, this simple form must be submitted to obtain NDI approval prior to each future search. A PDF of this signed form can be emailed to email@example.com, along with a copy of the study's IRB approval. Assuming there have been no changes to your initial NDI application, NDI staff will email you the approval of your repeat search within a week.
Fees are based on the number of records submitted. The fee schedule includes a worksheet for calculating your total NDI charge.
- NDI User Fees [PDF - 1.1 MB]
- Discounts for large volumes: If you are considering submitting more than 100,000 records for an NDI search, you may be eligible for our fee discounts for large record volumes. Contact Lillian Ingster on 301-458-4286 for more information.
The NDI Users Guide [PDF - 1.6 MB] explains all of the steps in the NDI process, how to submit your records for an NDI search, what your results will look like, how to assess your results, and additional information on NDI scoring algorithms and ICD codes.
- Articles Describing the Performance of the National Death Index [PDF - 32 KB]
- Use of the National Death Index in Health Research [PDF - 241 KB]
- Citation Lists for NCHS Surveys Linked to the National Death Index [PDF - 22 KB]
Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit any requests and questions you may have concerning the NDI. Please include your name, address, and phone number in your email request, and let us know if you would like to receive a free NDI information packet.
You can also reach us by calling (301) 458-4444.